DIY solar panels

Options
brenneis
brenneis Solar Expert Posts: 34
Hey Guys, I know you are going to get on me and state that I shouldn't make my own panels etc, but I already have the cells and am in the middle of the project LOL....the hardest part is weatherproofing the cells and framing them up into a sturdy panel. It got me to thinking would it be possible to lay out a panel of cells that were wired and tested in a mold and actually cast them in crystal clear resin. You could make it approx 1/4 inch thick and the stuff drys to a very hard weather proof plastic. I have used it before and it really is clear as water and virtually unbendable or breakable. I don't know about the molecular movement of the power however. Do you think it would still flow?? I want to experiment with just one cell but I don't want to go buy the resin if you think I am off my rocker. It sure would make the finished results much more professional and long lasting if it were possible. Look forward to anybody's thoughts here...thanks Brian

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: DIY solar panels

Try it on one cell. Test the output of that cell compared to a control.

One question might be how well will the resin hold up in UV?

Tony
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: DIY solar panels

resin pours are not at all resistant to UV, it will be cloudy in no time and possibly bubble and crack its also flammable ..not a good combination.

Sell the cells on eBay, you can get panels for 2.48 watt ... building your own is pretty much a scam