Kyocera cell defect?

Dapdan
Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
Hi all,

While i was cleaning my panels this morning i notice something strange(as pictured). Does anyone think this is a major cell defect. It occurs on about half the cells in a KC130GT panel. I have some KC130TMs and i did not notice this in those panels. I bought them in 07 from sunelec so they are still inside warranty. I have not noticed anything strange in the power they delivered (compared to the other KC130TM), but then again i did/have not checked for any decreases in output. If anyone thinks i should please advise how to.

Regards...
Damani:

Comments

• n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Re: Kyocera cell defect?

Hard to see from the pic with you reflection and sun. The only thing I sall was on the left side about the middle was a open top trace. Is that it ???
  • Dapdan

yes n it is the single open top trace on the left most section of the cell this occurs on at least half of the cells in the panel.

Cheers
    Damani
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

I would not be worried about that. I terms of loss power, that open trace may drop the current output by .0001 amp.

Now if one of the two vertical traces that goes cell to cell, opens up, then that is something to be worried about.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i totally agree with ken on this and they were probably sold as blems and i guess you found the blemishes on them. i wonder what the bems were for the other half you mentioned that didn't have this on them. was it discolored cells or something along those lines? you will still reap lots of power and what you found isn't worth worrying about.
  • Dapdan

neil and n3,

thanks for the reply and for the record i did not buy them as blemished models and paid full price for them from sunelec about 2 years ago. I have only just noticed that flaw today. I recall reading some post about KC120s that were not functioning properly after they were installed and apparently it was a systemic problem (it did not appear right away) that affected a number of installations and Kyocera replace some of the installaitons. Apparently the thinking was that it was a bad batch. I just wanted other ppl opinion on whether i had anything to be concerned about.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

That open section of trace - I'd not worry at all about it. Electrically, you may loose .000001 amp. It's not discolored, and I'd ignore it. I don't even know if it counts as a blem.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you can always ask kyocera about it and see what they say.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Those traces are the feeders for the main bus, Its very unlikely that it could even be measured if some of those are open, the adjacent traces will take the current. I doubt even 1st panels have all those traces intact and in the end, if the panel meets the wattage tolerance, there is no ground to have the panel replaced, its not art work, its an photon to electron converter.