MX-60 max input wattage

khinphx
khinphx Registered Users Posts: 7
I have 8 KC130's ( 2 goups of 4) I have a chance to get 8 more KC130's (2 goups of 4) bringing my total to 16. (4 sets of 4) will my MX-60 handle the wattage. My Casa is at sea level in very sunny mexico.
Thanks

Comments

• halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Re: MX-60 max input wattage

what is the battery voltage?
  • khinphx

sorry, I have a 24volt system, 12 L16's (3 rows of 4) 3500 watt outback inverter..
    Thanks
  • khinphx

I also have each goup of 4 panels wired to a combiner box
    thanks again.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

that would exceed the max ratings of the mx60 at 24v out. you will need another controller to handle the other 8 pvs unless you can go to a 48v battery system. that would mean a new inverter as yours is 24v and the cheaper route is to get another controller to handle the extra power.
    make sure your batteries will handle this doubling of power well.
  • khinphx

Would I be able to add just 1 additational goup of 4 panels with out exceeing the MX-60?
    Totlal of 3 goups of 4 panels. all KC130
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

12 of those panels will be close but will be fine. If you dont have the controller yet you could get the outback FM80 it would handle 16
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The Outback (and Xantrex--and others perhaps?) charge controllers have a digital link that can chain all of the charge controllers together--so they behave like one unit (I am pretty sure--check the manual for the details).

Other than the costs of adding a second controller (same brand) and possibly a "Mate" (external hub/controller for Outback)--there should be no downside if you want to add the panels (and you have the battery bank and loads to need the extra power).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 8 KC130's ( 2 goups of 4) I have a chance to get 8 more KC130's (2 goups of 4) bringing my total to 16. (4 sets of 4) will my MX-60 handle the wattage. My Casa is at sea level in very sunny mexico.

sorry, I have a 24volt system, 12 L16's (3 rows of 4) 3500 watt outback inverter...

The MX60 is rated to handle up to 1,600 W STC of PV for 24 V battery applications. That would be 12 of the 130 W modules (1,560 W STC) configured as 4 (modules in series) x 3 (series strings in parallel) or as 3 x 4.

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer