Panel racks

I need help urgently getting a mounting solution for my 8 SANYO HIP 186 DA3. Can anyone please advise. Thanks.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Panel racks

it will be hard for anybody to say how to mount your pvs as they know nothing of where you wish to put them. is this for a roof or a ground mount? what exactly are you having trouble with as far as being able to mount the pvs as i'm sure the source that you got the pvs from would probably have mounts available of some sort? if not there are mounts available from many sources including the sponser of this forum. northern arizona wind & sun.
  • Richard Edwards
    Richard Edwards Solar Expert Posts: 27

These are the bifacial panels from Sanyo. Their dimensions are different than the rest. They are supposed to be installed at least one meter high from surface, so they can absorbed the reflected light. I would like to install them on a small roof or on the ground, but would like to try to take advantage of the backside as well. I cannot find a good solution. Any suggestion is welcome. I am about to finish my project; I have all components, but the only thing missing now is the rack. Do you think the person from Wind and Sun can help? I have talked to a couple of salesmen from other sites, and they try to limit their involvement to a minimum. Thanks.
  • niel

it couldn't hurt to talk to them. we here have always condoned raising pvs at least 6 inches off of the roof, or whatever surface is below, in order to cool the pvs. i don't know the best height those pvs would want, but i'm sure something could be done. also we have someone on the forum from time to time from unirac, rickeolis
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

The bifacials do not really lend themselves to a roof mount, for the reasons you stated.

They are good for things like open ground mounts, pole mounts, and in areas like awnings or carports. They are not good for roofs. Though it is possible to mount them high above the roof, it is usually a bad idea, as wind stresses on what would be basically an airplane wing are extremely high. In other words it could rip your roof off, or at least the parts attached to the panel mounts.

So it comes down to, there are mounts that could be used, there is nothing that we would recommend.
  • Richard Edwards

What can I do then? I HAVE to install them soon. Any suggeston will be more than welcomed.
  • niel

if the pvs are that specialized then i would think sanyo would make certain that there's a proper mount available for them. drop them a line and see what they recommend for their pvs and let us know, if you would, what they say.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

Just helping went to Sanyo site and downloaded Install manual for 186 DA3 panel

http://us.sanyo.com/HIT-Double/HIT-Double-Bifacial-Photovoltaic-Module

Sanyo page with Installation and Brochures showing types of installation recommended. Also, recommends sources for mounting products.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

From my reading, there is nothing special about the mounts, what is special is WHERE they get mounted.

They are intended for open area racking where reflected light can add some small amount of harvest using the undersized of the panel for collection

Reflected light will not be evenly distributed, so even if a partial string of panels gets some more indirect light, its won't do much if anything as the string is limited by the lowest performing panel.
  • WisJim
    WisJim Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

The first bifacials that I saw in use are at the MREA headquarters at Custer, WI, on a structure with a shingled roof that is used to train PV installers. They put out a lot of "extra" power when the sun was low in the sky and partially shining on the backsides of the PV panels. I can't seem to find any pictures but will keep looking. They are on angled mounts on a light brown/tan shingled roof.
  • Richard Edwards

Thank you. I sure need all the help I can get.
  • rickeolis
    rickeolis Solar Expert Posts: 110 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Richard,
    I wish I could help, but even though I work for Unirac, my job is the IT guy here. I don't actually work with our products.
    Our website could give you some ideas though: www.unirac.com

Good luck on this-

-Rick-
  • niel

sorry if my reference to you was in error rick.
  • rickeolis
    rickeolis Solar Expert Posts: 110 ✭✭✭✭

No biggie, I wish I could offer more help on this one!

-Rick-
  • lamplight
    lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

arent these the ones i saw in an add being used as a fence? you could try that. id be very worried about the airplane effect as described.

you could always hire a creative contractor or builder. I just today had a friend of mine over working for me who designed a great new mount for my panels (i needed something designed that would make it easier to add/remove 1 panel at a time). hes never done any solar but for this kind of thing its more about the engineering/design as ling as YOU know enough to tell them about correct orientation to the sun, etc...