Mixed panel orientation array

Options
icarus
icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
Here is a question I am almost embarrassed to ask. I think I know the answer,, at least intuitively but something niggles at me.

I have two sets of panels, one set of Siemens 55 with a Vmp of ~17.4 vdc mounted on the wall. I have another pair of BP 63, also with a Vmp of ~17.4 vdc. mounted on the roof. Each parallel pair, feed the CC with a pair of #4 wire, combining at the controller. Now I know that the Vmp of the entire string is regulated to a great extent by the LOWEST Vmp in the entire string.

I also understand, that if in the case that any panels (or parts of panels) that are wired in series, get shaded, that shading will have the effect of reducing the power out of the entire series string.

My wall mount panels get sun early, but loose sun late. The roof mounts do the opposite. I am going to add a 5th panel, bringing my total capacity up to about the maximum that the controller can handle. (More than I really need,,, but you all know how that goes!) This panel will be a rover, set up so I can move it both during the day, and over the course of the year. It will probably feed through the wall mount wires.

Now my question: It is my believe that shading of any one panel will not effect the output of the entire string, only the effected panel. Is this assumption correct? My concern is the 1/4 of the days when one set or the other is shaded. I monitor my amperage numbers pretty carefully and it seems to prove my supposition, but usually by the time the wall panels go in shade, the MPPT controller is dialing down the amperage anyway. So the long and short of it is,,, should I set all the panels up to get ~ equal sun at the same time?

Tony

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Mixed panel orientation array

I'd say you're right: in a parallel configuration only the shaded panel will 'drop out'.
    Here's why I think so: I had four identical panels in-line and wired in series. When tree shadow hit the first one, the whole array's output dropped. I re-configured for two in series x two parallel, and now have greater over-all output through the day despite the same tree shadow because it only affects one 'set' of panels at a time.
  • Ecnerwal
    Ecnerwal Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Options

As I understand it, the maximum power point voltage will be "nearly" the maximum power point of the unshaded panels, because the shaded panels are not making (significant) power.

If the added panel is in parallel to the wall panels, and the wall panels are shaded (but the rover is not) then the VMP will be the best for the rover (making power) or the average of the rover and roof (if both making power). The shaded panel(s) won't make enough power to have an impact on the VMP the controller sets, which is based on the voltage where it gets the most amps*volts, since that takes amps, and the shaded panels are making few, if any, amps.

...as I understand it.
  • icarus
    Options

So,

let's say for example that each panel will put out 5 amps,,, just to keep the numbers easy. The total of the 5 panels in full sun in this example would then be 25 amps.

So now lets say the roof panels are shaded,,,(assume for this argument that shaded means zero amps) so that the two wall panels would be putting out 5 amps each for a total of 10. Add in the rover and you would get 15 amps total.

Now let's reverse the situation,,, the wall panels are shaded but the roof panels are in sun. Roof panels put out their 5 amps each,,, ten total. Add in the rover , will it then push it's 5 amps into the controller, even though the wall panels are shaded? Leaving me a total of 15?

I hope, (and think) that this is right.

Thoughts?

T
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A shaded panel in a string, will reduce the entire series string.
    That's what bypass diodes fix.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• icarus
    Options

Parallel strings Mike,

T
  • Ecnerwal
    Ecnerwal Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Options

Yep - the Joy of Parallel Strings. You should have 15 amps for the example given.