Best Vmp for use with SolarBoost 2000E

2»

Comments

• kevinhenrycalgary
    kevinhenrycalgary Solar Expert Posts: 33
    Re: Best Vmp for use with SolarBoost 2000E

Here is a youtube link to the initial testing of the pv installation on the Boler trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrjW8gnKSkY
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Very cool--I am watching this instead of Barbra Walters interviewing people I have never seen--and I don't know what is happening to the "Oscars"... I thought it is supposed to be on now (west coast time).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you're doing good and learning how solar angles and shading affect the output too. most trailers will have pvs mounted flat as a compromise and for convenience and you should see the difference that makes on the output at various times of the day.
  • kevinhenrycalgary

Did I manage to get an Oscar nomination for best foreigh documentary?
    I guess my little movie is a long way from Oscar material, but I'm glad you liked it.

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me. The terminology is starting to come easy to me.

(I've made annotations on the video. If any of the statements are incorrect or misleading, let me know. The videos are aimed at other persons who are fixing up their older trailers.)

I did find the effects of shadows and angle variation very informative. I imagine the differences in angle won't be as extreme in the summer.

It has got the hamster in my head spinning that little excercise wheel furiously. I'd like to devise a "lazy susan" type of mount system for the cap of the truck so that I can manually change angle/direction as required.

That will be a project for next month.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I guess my little movie is a long way from Oscar material, but I'm glad you liked it.

That may be a good thing. ;)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • kevinhenrycalgary

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76boler/3316591181/?processed=1&cb=1235856063040

I have a question regarding the operation of the Sunsaver MPPT in cold weather.
    (see above video link)

Note: My XBM Monitor temperature reading, via the XBM temp. sensor will only read to 0 degrees C) (32F). The actual temperature today is -11C (12.2F)

My batteries have been floated, via my AC charger (with temp. sensor) for the past week at these cold temperatures.

All dip switches are in the down (off) position so the equalize function is not turned on.

Temperature sensor for the Sunsaver is installed.

The jumper is removed as my batteries are flooded.

With the batteries fully charged the Sunsaver is still supplying an equalizing charge voltage of approx/ 14.9 volts. (the charge indicator is flashing, green, approx 2 times per second)

Is it doing this because of the -11 degree Celcius temperature of the batteries?

The manual states: "Temperature compensation increases regulation voltage in cold temperature"

I just want to make sure this is normal operation.

The temperature tomorrow is supposed to go above the freezing point so I will re-check the readings again.
  • niel

without doing actual calculations specific for your application, yes, the general trend is to have a higher battery voltage the lower the temperature is on the battery. if your concern is how low in temperature it will work for for the controller with bts, you may have to ask morningstar that question. of course even the pv voltage could also limit how much voltage is delivered.
  • kevinhenrycalgary

Thanks Niel. Upon further thought I believe the unit is operating as it should. I do have an inquiry in to Morningstar for confirmation.

It has warmed up here today but, no sun yet. Tomorrow calls for plus 8 degrees Celcius (46F) so I will check it again once the temp of the battery rises above freezing.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

i have a solar boost 2000e and the display only show 1 when the sun is shining.:grr
    when the sun set it shows the battery voltage. the switch is set to show battery voltage.:confused:
    while the sun is shining and i switch to panel current it only shows about 2 to 3 amp and when i switch to output current it shows 1amp then goes to zero then to a minus 1 to 2.
    i have 2 80watt panel.
    system works fine for about 2 years with out no problem.:D

NEED HELP FROM ALL.
    THANKS.8)
  • niel

can you get a hold of another meter to confirm what the display says it's doing and confirm all of your wires, connections, pvs are to spec, and batteries to be fine? odds are either the meter in the controller or the regulator in the controller is not functioning and there's no advice other than to get a hold of blue sky and see what they say.