Solar Panels and Trackers

Options
Hey Guys,

I am trying to design a system that is not standard looking. I am looking at the sharp 72 w triangle panels. Has anyone had any luck with these? How about suggestions on optimal series and parallel wiring schemes.

I am also looking at using a dual axis tracking system for this design any suggestions on best types for cold weather climates. I am also thinking of using the enphase micro inverters, any comments on these.

Thanks,

Iowa solar guy

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Solar Panels and Trackers

My first suggestion is to compare the costs of a tracking system (with fewer panels but the cost of a tracker) vs the costs of a fixed system (with more panels, but cheaper fixed mount).

You can figure out your costs by calculating the $ per kWhr pricing:

(total capital and expected maintenance costs over 20 years)
    = $/kWhr
    (number of kWhrs per year from PV Calc * 20 year system life)

Usually, the costs are not that much different--especially as the cost of PV Panels fall (and including replacement actuator parts and such).

The Enphase Inverters look like the first "real" micro inverters out there (full regulatory approvals). I would suggest that you run cost comparisons for micro inverters and standard "large" GT inverter and see how they compare for your system.

Enphase is supposed to be installating a system on our host's (NAWS) store roof--hopefully, we will hear something from "WindSun" soon.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

All of the things you are trying to do are not really compatible, like using the triangle panels on a tracker :p

Panel trackers sometimes make sense, but often they do not. It all depends on your setup. What you have to do is figure out the gain you will get from tracking, and see if it makes more sense just to spend that money on more panels to get the same output.

See http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/pubs/redbook/

Often tracking makes more sense on water pumping systems, as you are trying to get maximum pumping time per day. But they can get expensive for the larger ones - the largest size dual axis tracker, with pole installation etc - can run over $5000
  • Ecnerwal
    Ecnerwal Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Options

Last I recall looking at prices, you'd be paying a hefty premium to use those triangle panels - sure, you could make some sort of design with them, but that's one hefty pricetag .vs. using normal panels.

If you have a deep pocketed artistic customer (or wife) that wants something vaguely resembling giant (blue-black) sunflowers, and is willing to pay for trackers and custom modifications to the tracker mounts to achieve this look, go to. But that's an expensive frivolity - better make the outer ring of panels fold in at night to really complete the look...