Cable and connectors

Options
boisblancboy
boisblancboy Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, got a new question here. I just recieved a 65 watt panel. Coming out of the junction box are two cables about 16" long. On the ends of the cables are some ZJRH connectors, one male and one female. I have looked around on the net for these connectors and cant seem to find any.

Now my question is can I just cut the connectors off, strip the wires and connect some wire? I dont have anything that will work with these connectors? I would just run new cables/wires right out of the junction box but the way the original cables/wires connect inside it would make that a much more difficult task.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Cable and connectors

I'm not sure if these are completely compatible with conventional MC connectors in the solar industry. I did a quick search and found a reference to these cables being "like" an MC 3, so I don't know it it would plug in.

You could buy a MC cable and cut the end off it to wire to your battery/controller. On the other hand I don't see any problem with cutting the connector off and hardwiring.

I'm sure someone that is more familiar with these panels or connectors,

Good luck,

Tony
  • boisblancboy
    Options

Here are a couple pictures just in case it would help. Sorry for the quality.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

Cutting the ends of the solar panel pig tails will probably void their warranty...

Try this Cables and Connectors page and see if this matches yours. Get one male/female cable, cut in 1/2, and away you go.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • boisblancboy
    Options

I would say this is what I need:
    http://store.solar-electric.com/3fomcexca.html

but I cant tell if they are the correct size. Unless they are all standard?

Im pretty sure this cable:
    http://store.solar-electric.com/20inmcpisetf.html
    is what is connected into my junction box.

The bare ends have the conduit fitting for the box, then that post end goes through a screw type clamp and clips into a almost breaker looking junction.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

Those in the picture look an oddball obsolete connector used on some panels sold in Europe and Asia (and apparently a few in the US also). They are used on one brand of Chinese panel only, as far as I know. http://www.pvbox.com/en/cp.asp

Not sure if they match up with the MC3 connectors, but I doubt it. The newer latching ones from that company are UL approved but I have yet to see any panels sold in the US that has them, and they do not appear to match up with either the Tylok or MC4 connectors. It may be a Chinese copy of the MC3, hard to tell from the pictures.

There are over 25 different types of PV connectors out there, only about 3 or 4 have really gained any ground in the US. Installers and distributors (like us) would hate to see a dozen different types - you simply cannot stock all that many types.

The MC, made by Multi-Contact, are not really the best in the world - probably the Aphenol are, but they are just about the only really common one in the US since that is what most sold in USA panels were made with.
    Multi-Contact has increasingly encountered system operators who complain about defective MC connectors, which upon further examination prove to be Asian copies.

In addition to the material damages suffered by customers, Chinese pirating also negatively impacts the Swiss company's image...

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Re: Solar Radiation

THis reply is about a subject I need your help on. I am new to the forum, so this is probably not the way to contact you, but only way I know. In Feb. 09, you posted a question about ZJRH connector 05-1. I have the same problem. I was sold a solar panel with these connectors on it and an extention cord that is not compatable. I have looked all over, but cannot find a 05-1 cord for sale. Did you find any on your search? If not, what did you do to solve your problem? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Tom
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,457 admin
    Options

Tom,

I moved you post here--It makes it easier to follow your question.

Boisblancboy has not logged in since September of 2009--You might try sending him a PM and see if he replies...

The PVBox page current comes up with warning that the website is infested with viruses (warning is not always correct) -- so you may not want to follow that link for now.

Otherwise, from this thread, it sounds like you will have to just cut off the end of the cable and hard-wire your connections or splice/crimp on some current style connectors.

Do you have any other panels with current MC type connectors you can match?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset