Green data center - solar, Net Zero

Options
Hello,
We will be building a new green building, NetZero (stricter than LEED), so we are
creating/harvesting all (or as much of) the power we use off-grid.

I have been tasked with researching and building a small network consisting of 15 pc's and server. I'm looking at virtual machines (I"m familiar with them) and we are looking to keep power requirements down since we will be using solar panels, wind, etc to get our own power.

Has anyone here had experience with that, or is this even in the right forum?
We are watching LCD power requirements, using thin clients, and will be aware of heating and cooling for the 'data center' (one server doesn't comprise a data center, but hey, that's what it'll be).
Thank you.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Green data center - solar, Net Zero

Your question is fine here.

There is one or several people here that have worked with lower power computing.

My two cents... Get a couple Kill-A-Watt meters for the smaller systems, and you can always get a larger commercial kWhr meter for the larger servers/systems (if > 15 amps @ 120 VAC of the K-A-W meter). And run several of your configurations with standard test suites and/or real users.

Obviously, using "less" bloat ware type OS and software will allow you to use smaller processors/drives/power supplies.

Although, some OS's seem to have better support for variable clock rate processors and such.

If you can eventually come up with a chart of measured kWhrs and Processing/Customer scores--that will help you on the conservation side.

I am sure you have HVAC and building designers that know how to build an energy efficient building better than I--so unless you have specific questions, I will not go there.

On the PV Electric Side--Do you have Utility Power available?

If so, utility power + Grid Tied Solar is going to be much more cost effective and environmentally green than trying to do this all "off grid" with batteries and backup power (grid and/or gensets).

Just from a system point of view... Roughly a GT system is ~77% efficient (sun to AC power). A Off-Grid system is ~52% efficient (sun to DC to Battery to Inverter to AC). So an off-grid system has to generate (77/52=) 1.48x more power than a GT system.

Also, with Grid Tied and One Year Net Metering (if avialable at your site)--your utility effectively behaves like a giant AC battery... You can take excess power generated during the summer and use it during the winter.

With a pure Off-Grid system, your typical battery bank can cost effectively store about 3 days worth of energy... So, you may loose lots of power during good weather and have to use the backup power source (gen/grid) for power weather/winter.

There are alternative ways of doing solar power--Take a look at the Xantrex XW Hybrid type system... Some of the advantages of the Grid Tied system, but with battery backup power emergency outages... You still will want a dedicated UPS for your server--but, depending on how you size everything can help provide either a few hours of backup power, or long term backup power (with generator backup).

Lastly, at least in California, when you design your Grid Connected Power system (if you have grid)--take a look at how the billing will work. For commercial customers, there are two parts of the bill... About 50% of the cost is the standard kWhr charges. The other part is the "reservation charge"--basically, the customer's peak 15 minute energy usage for the last 1 year period...

If you can keep your peak power usage down (soft start AC, don't run AC Heat and Electric Heat at the same time, whatever)--this can really save some money on your electric bill. Using the same techniques for your GT/Off-Grid system will help keep the peak loads low, and let you keep your hardware costs down too.

In the end, if this ends up being a large system (say ~10kW or larger)--you will need to contract with a solar RE designer in your area. There is only so much we can help you with here.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks for the reply. We are in West Virginia, and cutting new trails in this area.

We do have grid available and will be tied to it. We have a LEED architect designing the system and has had experience with those types of systems, so I'm not really involved in that part of it.

Our electric here is .06 kwh.

After I posted this last night, I did more research into thin clients and virtual machines for the desktops. We will replace any/all of our current computer equipment as needed. We don't have a dedicated server yet, and will be moving towards it, so I was looking for suggestions from people that have been down that road. Being an I.T. consultant, I've seen many posts about green data centers (all the rage now) and there is much info out there; I was just checking this forum for any experiences here.

Thank you very much.
    Ken
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    Options

As the IT guy at work, like to give some advice. Green is nice to do and a great PR thing, but DO NOT cut corners to save a KW here and there. You must look at the business end first then the green end. Thin clients are nice if your are doing office apps but get stressed when it comes to multi-media/graphics apps. Plus do not forget about future growth.

Good luck.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Google has been looking into just filtered air, for data centers, and not chilling them to 55F. Equipment lifetimes have not suffered much.
    What are the data lines to the facility, not much good to have a data center up in a blackout, if the fiber is dark.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,