comments on pv installer training facilities?

Options
I'm an electrician in Idaho(20 yrs) looking at branching into PV installing/contracting, but am a little overwhelmed at the vast number,similarities and differences of the training facilities out there (boots on the roof,solarstaffing,solarenergy inc.,,,etc) some NABCEP certified testers,one was "mapped" to nabcep standards! The Idaho colleges& universities don't appear aware of a need, and the JATC's don't seem to have a very comprehensive program. So, any good(or bad) experiences out there?

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Re: comments on pv installer training facilities?

litemkr,

What I would recommend since you are an electrician is taking a training course from a particular pv supplier/manufacturer. "Sunpower makes a great product and has a very informative training course.

The electrical isn't very hard. The most demanding part is installing the "standoffs" to the roof. I would recommend partnering up with a roofer to install these. Let him take responsibility for the roof.

Get your hands on some single lines. They will have everything you will need to know about the electrical side.