Choice of 3 solar panels (Australia)

Options
Hi there from down under

I have been in contact with 3 companies in regards to a grid connect solar system for my house and they have all offered different brands of solar panels.

Prices are after government rebates (max $8000), panels will be installed on WEST side of house so aware that I will lose ~ 10 to 15% power. My roof can hold 7 panels.

190W Evergreen x 6 (~$xK) - price increase!!!
215W Sunpower x5 (~$5k)
170W Schott x 6(~$4k)

I haven't heard much about Schott but Sunpower is quite popular. I like the Evergreens (-/+2 tolerance) the supplier mentioned there will be a price increase ~ 30%. I think limited by price, I'm swayed towards Sunpower.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Cheer
boosta.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Choice of 3 solar panels (Australia)

boosta,
    i'm not very familiar with your prices or rebates down there, but the basic pv would be the schott with evergreen and sunpower both good pvs, but with the sunpower having the greatest efficiency and with a drawback to being positive ground only and thus all the other equipment must accomodate this positive ground too limiting the range of choices for that equipment.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options
    Re: Choice of 3 solar panels (Australia)

Hi niel

Thanks for your reply. In Australia, the government only pays $8/watt up to $8000 (max) for a 1.0kilowatt system and then you have REC (renewable certificates) etc.

The sunpower system (5 x 215w =1075w system) costs around $14500, after gov rebate and RECs ~ $5000.

I'm not so sure about the drawback of the sunpower system, i will check with the installer before proceeding.

cheers
    boosta