I am a Newby

I just started thinking about alternative or supplemental energy for my home. I purchased the home a year ago and went through and replaced all the light bulbs with CF bulbs(about 90 of them) and added some extra insulation to the attick. My bill dropped from $300 to around $175 a month except the two hottest months of the year in Oklahoma...

I am considering Solar power since it is a bit quieter than wind. I dont want to go out and buy a huge system because of the price, but instead I thought about starting small and working my way up, maybe just start with a large invertor but few panels. I need advice on what to get that I can expand on. With the economy I can not spend a lot so it will have to be over a period of time. What should I start with first? I also want this on the grid using my existing home wiring. My Covenants allows alternative energy and my power grid will buy back to the grid.

Thanks

Steven

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: I am a Newby

Read all you can,, here and elsewhere. Look at Home Power magazine. Learn all you can, and remember that the first RE $$ should be conservation, followed by conservation, and then, and only then Solar.. Generally hot water first, space heat, and then finally PV.

Avoid the ready, fire aim. Welcome and good luck,

Tony
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

prater,
    congratulations on the efforts done so far and the savings you have reaped. there isn't any easy way to start small as small is still big. even the savings you accumulated over a year might pay for a few hundred watts worth of pv, but you need more than just a few pvs. the inverter to process that power to send to the grid will be needed and is not small in costs and the number of pvs that drive the inverters are not small due to those inverters needed a voltage input in the hundreds of volts. as was already told to you please read all that you can to educate yourself and explore the products our host carries in their store as that adds another dimension in being able to understand what is talked about.
    http://www.solar-electric.com/
    the other areas on the page are worth your exploration as well as home power magazine that icarus also mentioned.
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭

I studied wind and PV, but due to the long distance up a mountain to my potential wind site, I went PV......but wind can be a lot cheaper watt for watt. You might want to study the situation a bit more for your area.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Set your sights on where you want to be in the future, then determine the most cost-effective steps towards getting there.
    You're right to ignore wind power: most "home size" units have proven to be inefficient and/or unreliable.
    You already know you'll want a grid-tie inverter. Go for one that can be "stacked" to add power later.
    Likewise, you'll want an MPPT charge controller. Again, look for one that's adaptable.
    As far as batteries are concerned, high voltage means less current per watt of power. I'd suggest skipping the 12 volt systems in favour of 24 or 48 for long-term planning.
    Also, with grid-tie you can not skimp on safety measures such as disconnects, breakers (or fuses), and lightning arrestors. Power companies are very picky about such things.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Starting with conservation is dead on -- it's by far the most effective way to save money. Replacing your lights is a great step. How much you're willing to conserve determines the size of the system you'll need. There are many free calculators available (including ours, which focuses on saving money).

Starting small if you want to stay on grid is a challenge. Before you can tie to the grid you need special gear such as grid-tie inverters and disconnects. You have to hassle with permits and inspections whenever you add to your system. Usually the work has to be done by approved people, so no DIY. And in most places the idea that the utility company will ever send you a check is a myth.

Off grid you can start very small and grow easily. If you want to eliminate your electric bill, disconnecting from the utility company is the only practical way.

There's a simple way to move from on grid to off grid a little at a time. Install a second circuit breaker panel next to your existing one. As you grow your solar power system, transfer loads to the new breaker panel. This lets you start as small as you like, and grow when you want. For safety, you'll still need an automatic disconnect that cuts the utility line during a blackout.

I'm not sure I'd dismiss 12V systems too quickly. They are less expensive and work well. The 24V and 48V systems use less current for the same power and handle longer cable runs, but their higher up-front cost often isn't justified in smaller home installations. And after you conserve as much as you can, you probably don't need a big power system.

Panels are the easiest component to add as you grow. You may need multiple solar charge controllers to match different kinds of panels to your system. If you start with an inverter that isn't big enough for your long term plans, then make sure it's stackable. Or go with a small inexpensive one and figure you'll replace it later.

The economy is likely to bring prices down. You may save a lot by starting small.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Ana Douglas
    http://www.verdenova.com
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hello to all,

I am arvind sharma and newbie to this forum. Thanks for nice posting
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind, as you think about going off grid,,,, The grid is the energy bargain of the world! There is almost no way to generate electricity to you loads as cheap as the grid does. With grid tied PV, it also serves as a huge battery to absorb our PV to give it back to us at night.

Remember KWH for KWH off grid, battery based systems cost ~double what grid tied systems do. If you are trying to be "green" or live a bit cheaper, consider, after doing all the conservation you can, building a grid tie PV that is twice as big as a battery system, and you will be doing both,,, better.

Tony