Windmill water pumping

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Anyone have experience with the concept of windmills for pumping water? My water level is about 30 feet down the drilled 6 inch well and most DC water pumps don't reach that far down. I don't want to get too complex with the system and keep it at low maintenance. Also, anyone heard of using compressed air to force the water up?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Windmill water pumping

Here is a thread on another board discussing using Airlift water pumping with links... I guess typically used where you have sand in the water, or are in a mining site where you don't want the possibility of sparks setting of an explosion.

From the above link, an Air Lift wind turbine manufacturer:

Airlift (basically, an Air compressor attached to a blade set)

The 30' limit--is, if I understand you correctly, just a limit for using suction lift (really limited to 20-25' of lift)...

If you use a submerged pump in the well (or use a "jet pump"), you can go much deeper.

Here are a few very nice looking (submerged and surface) solar off-grid pump systems from our host.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Shurflo 9300 12/24vdc submersible works well in my experience.

Tony
  • Lefty Wright
    Lefty Wright Solar Expert Posts: 111 ✭✭

Try this; http://www.aermotorwindmill.com/

These windmills were common in California until the Rural Electrification Agency gave ranchers electric motors for their pumps.

Up to a few years ago there were abandoned windmills, and a few still working ones, all over the place.

They are a rare sight now. I'll bet the ranchers are sorry they let them fall down.

If the above link doesn't work just google aermotor.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Hi, jet pumps use 30% more electricity to accomplish the same task as a submersible pump according to grainger catalog.
  • System2

Hi, I forget the exact ratio but you have to have a well a lot deeper than the water level to use an air lift pump. The pump head has to be in real deep. If you have that luxury though they're real nice for fish ponds as they aerate the water while pumping it.
  • jacobs
    jacobs Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭

As I recall, Bowjon at one time had a lot of failures with their air compressors. I don't think I ever heard what the problem was but I suspect it was bearings and or seals. I think any brand of air pump windmill will have reliability issues. If I was going to install a windmill to pump water, I'd go with a Aermotor or Dempster or similar mill. They are a time proven design for well over 100 years.

I used a 10' Dempster to pump water from 250' for 25 years. They are very reliable.
  • System2
    Hi, jet pumps use 30% more electricity to accomplish the same task as a submersible pump according to grainger catalog.

In my many years experience dealing with pumps, water systems and customers, I can for sure back up that comment. In fact, the difference is probably even greater in many applications. Compared to a standard 1/2 hp submersible pump, a standard 1/2 hp jet is pathetic, especially when it's configured for "deep well" operation. No other way of saying it.