Battery Temperature Sensor

warren
warren Registered Users Posts: 21
Since I don't have a BTS, don't have local access to the part and really would like to avoid the cost of purchasing in the US and paying shipping, taxes and exchange which would likely put me close to $50 cdn, I ask the following.

1) may I assume that a BTS is simply a standard thermocouple? If so J or K.

2) attach to a trace c40 using standard telephone phone jack & 4 wire cable

3) Is polarity an issue

Any helpful input appreciated.

Regards

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Battery Temperature Sensor

Interesting question,,, I don't know for sure, but I don't think it is a thermo-couple. It may be a thermistor. I was going to suggest that it is neither, but as I think about it, it could be either,,,,

Bill or Neil or Mike or someone else will have a definitive answer.

Tony
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

They are not thermo couples, its is a NTC thermistor. I think the C series use 100K

This might work, no guaranties http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=317-1380-ND
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

I have a spare one from a Trace SW2412 I found after moving. Not sure if it's the same as the C40?
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

it is also possible to use a diode for thermal detection. there are too many ifs, ands, and buts that can happen here and ultimately you'll probably need to buy a bts. as far as shipping goes talk to the people at naws or write them a letter. i'd also think they'd be available somewhere in canada too.
  • warren

Thank you all for your very quick replies.

Aside from exchange rates, shipping and al. my surprise came when I realised the cost of a commercial BTS was one quarter the cost of the whole c40 charge controller....that`s plain nuts.

With a little searching I have confirmed that the unit is indeed a 100K thermistor (as Solar Guppy points out a couple of $$...thanks for the link) and can be used also with the DR and UX series of inverters so I believe the one Brock has from a sw2412 likely wouldn`t work (thanks for the thought though).

I found a homebrew alternative for $15.50 USD air mail included so if I`m too lazy to solder & package a thermistor to some telephone wire (total cost probably $5 cdn max) I`ll probably go that route.

Once again thanks for the help & pointing me in a cost effective direction.

Regards
  • warren

Update

Using assistance from Solar Guppy & a spare phone jack cable made a BTS for next to nothing and it works beautifully. Muchas Gracias SG.

Regards
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Your welcome ..

For those wondering minds, I sent Warren a thermistor via snail mail, cost me a stamp as I have plenty in the parts bin in my lab from previous prototypes.

Good to see it worked!

SG
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

well that's certainly a way around things. good deal.