Looking for help setting up gride tie system

Hello,

I am installing panels now, and have already purchased outback mx60 charge controller and AIMS 1500 watt inverter. Only missing batteries.

When I purchased everything I wanted to have a backup system, thats why I purchased off grid equipment when I was on grid. After posts by other users here, I see how big a drop in efficiency going this route is.

So, I want to keep the off grid equipment in case the power goes out. But would like to get the power generated on the grid, only going to batteries if the power is out.

I can not take back / return any of the current equipment I have.

What would be the least cost route I could take for this situation? I was looking at some of the grid tie inverters that you can just plug in to a outlet, which would be great for me since I only have about 1100 watts of panels, but can not find one that is UL listed.

Is there any way to have my pure sine wave inverter plug into an outlet? I assume not because the house has the neutral grounded = burnt inverter when I plug it in, also would need to figure out some sort of disconnect if the power does go out to protect linemen.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Re: Looking for help setting up gride tie system

For 1100 watts, you may be able to find an old, small, grid-tied inverter like the PVP1100 to serve your purpose. So far, if you haven't bought batteries, then the bulk of your money is in the panels, which you can use. You hopefully have enough panels to generate the voltage required by a grid-tied inverter, that is, about 200 volts at least. If not, then you need to buy more panels to wire in series.

I've seen these plug-in inverters, but their source seems kind of shady. My impression is that it is not legal to make this kind of connection in most places.

If it were me, I would sell the charge controller, either here or on craigslist. As for the inverter, I'd sell that, too, unless I could use it in a truck, RV, or something. And I'd use the funds to offset the price of a generator, if I wanted to be covered during power outages.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Looking for help setting up gride tie system

if you have the batteries, then the only other option you'd have would be to get an inverter capable of battery backed grid-tie to lessen the impact of having to get rid of the cc. if not then look around for a batteryless grid-tie inverter. in the batteryless gt system there isn't any power backup if the lights go off which i believe you said you want backup and you won't get around the efficiency loss for having batteries. some batteries do charge more efficiently like the agms, but at a higher cost.

edit to add: looks like you'll not be using the inverter you just bought. sorry to hear that, but you can sell it here if you would like to or keep it as a just in case one day. same goes for the mx60 if you find you can't use it.