partial shade damage?

landyacht.318
landyacht.318 Solar Expert Posts: 82 ✭✭✭✭
If I were to park my RV with it Kyc 130 tm where a section of it is shaded by a telephone pole or similar, will it damage the panel?

I know the output falls dramatically with a partial shadow.
Sometimes partial shading cannot be avoided.

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: partial shade damage?
    If I were to park my RV with it Kyc 130 tm where a section of it is shaded by a telephone pole or similar, will it damage the panel?

I know the output falls dramatically with a partial shadow.
    Sometimes partial shading cannot be avoided.

I would think that the only way it might be dammaged s if the pole falls on it.:p
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

Nope wont hurt the panel, it will just drastically reduce its power output, it might actually help it keep cool and last longer, but I still wouldn't recommend shading them.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

reiterating what these guys said, no harm will occur to shaded pvs, but your power needs may not be met. pvs are made to be in the sun as that's when they fulfill their purpose.
  • landyacht.318
    landyacht.318 Solar Expert Posts: 82 ✭✭✭✭

Good to know for sure.
    I thought I read where noonish sun hitting only part of a single panel would damage some internals and have been going out of my way to keep that from happening.

Guess I was wrong.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

Or the article was wrong... Would not be the first time...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

The only way that ~I think~ a PV module could be hurt is if the bypass diode was to open, shading occurred and current reversed. ~maybe~...
    Even then I'm not sure it would necessarily hurt anything.

boB :D