New Solar tech? CIGS?

Dabbler
Dabbler Registered Users Posts: 22
I just happened across this, is it true?

The CIGS technology, or Copper Indium Gallium di-Selenide, uses no silicon at all, and can be made into panels with or without discrete cells.

The advantage to CIGS technology is higher absorptivity than amorphous silicon, with 99% of the light shining on the panel being used for energy production. The addition of gallium to the copper indium diselenide semiconductor material widens the spectrum of solar radiation that can be absorbed, improving overall efficiency of the panels. In addition to being more efficient than a-Si, these panels are more environmentally friendly in their manufacturing process. They also do not suffer degradation in cell efficiency associated with other thin-film PV products.

Comments

• boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: New Solar tech? CIGS?
    Dabbler wrote: »
    I just happened across this, is it true?
    with 99% of the light shining on the panel being used for energy production.

Not that part.
    boB

• Dabbler
    Dabbler Registered Users Posts: 22

Thanks. Thought that was too much to hope for!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

As I understand (what little that is :roll: ), many of these types of technology, are very sensitive to oxygen/water contamination--much more so than Si chemistry.

So--hermetic panel sealing against weather is much more of a problem for these types of panel--and a huge issue still to overcome and give 25+ year life.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset