Fried SW4024s

Options
arkieoscar
arkieoscar Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭
Hi. New to this forum but not to PV. I installed a system for a customer about 8 yrs. ago. (this is one of only two that I still work on) and it was lightning struck a few weeks ago, smoking two SW4024 inverters. I sent them to a factory repair place and now I'm told (confirmed by Xantrex) that they won't have parts (control boards) to repair them for months. I would like to replace them with exact replacements for ease and also because the customer and I are happy and familiar with them. Any ideas? No great hurry but I'd like to get him back up as soon as possible. I asked for help from Xantrex but haven't heard back from them yet.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Fried SW4024s

unless you find somebody who had some of these circuit boards stockpiled xantrex is the place to deal with them. do know that these inverters have been discontinued so unless you'd like to upgrade the customer's inverter with a new one you may have to wait for the boards.
    sg,
    would you know of anyone besides xantrex that may be able to help him with this?
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Options

I am kind of in the same boat my customer has 4448's i am installing a Midnite solar epanel with a magnum energy 4448 the 120/240 volt unit this was the cheapest and simplest way for my customer and it will greatly simplify his system thanks to Midnite solar and there epanel
  • arkieoscar
    Options

I would go with the XW system but it may not be big enough. I'll try to keep some pressure on xantrex to support their product as I look for other solutions. System is- 16- kyocera 135w panels, 2000AH@24 battery, 10kw diesel gen., 2 sw4024. 100A auto transfer switch. In sunny weather, he runs the house on the inverters. If the battery starts losing ground, he switches to grid and the battery is charged on the internal chargers and if the grid is down the gen. starts and keeps them up. 3ton AC unit, 1hp. pump are the major loads and it handles it fine most of the time. About 5 or 6 times a year, it trips one of the output breakers on the SWs. I haven't found a combination that will do what this is doing and I hate to downgrade him and present a large bill at the same time.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

You can use a pair of XW's either rewire the battery bank for 48V or use the XW-4024's

The XW's are a true generation ahead of the SW's and they will be around and supported for the next decade, putting money into 8 year old inverters doesn't make any sense
  • arkieoscar
    Options

That throw away mentality will keep us all in debt forever. Make it cheaper, make it obsolete, throw it away when the next toy comes along.
    They have been working just as new until this lightning incident. They have been through hundreds of previous lightning storms. I hate throwing away good, repairable, expensive technology. Maybe I'm just too old.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

" They " made it obsolete, when replacement boards are not stocked. More than 72 hours to get a house back online, is relying on "perfectly good" obsolete parts. Buy new inverters, repair the old ones, and keep them as spares for next lighting storm, or sell the repaired ones on FeeBay.

Might want to get some disconnects and a lightning alert receiver, unless you think you have another 8 years till the next storm.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Solar Guppy
    Options
    arkieoscar wrote: »
    That throw away mentality will keep us all in debt forever. Make it cheaper, make it obsolete, throw it away when the next toy comes along.
    They have been working just as new until this lightning incident. They have been through hundreds of previous lightning storms. I hate throwing away good, repairable, expensive technology. Maybe I'm just too old.

8 years is hardly a throw-a-way mentality. The components used in the SW line was sourced in 1994 time frame when the SW first started shipping ( Trace ), even as Xantrex was producing units in the last year or two it was becoming near impossible to source some parts ( I know this for sure ), be the micro-processors, FET's or other semiconductors hadn't been made in years

What makes complex power electronics works is the parts inside and none of them are made by the manufacture of the inverters. The company's that make the parts, keep improving and that what keeps them in business, no one wants a 10mhz processor when a 1ghz one is 1/10th the cost and 100 times faster. This is especially true in the power electronics, the FETS from 1994 time frame are very poor compared to what can be sourced today.

I can understand the feeling that things could be repaired forever, but its the parts availability that is the issue and a manufacture is not going to stock pile a few million in parts that may never be used.

May I suggest you look at the electronics like battery's and other consumables in an RE system. If it produces energy for 8 years, Take the total kWh produced and divide by the purchased cost, your cost per kWh will be pennies.

Its a very bad investment to expend monies to repair the SW units, other parts are already beyond there expected service life and if you do the kWh / cost it is a much better investment to go with the current shipping products, regardless of who the manufacture is than to get say one more year out of the SW's but at an expense of 1/4 the cost of replacing the inverters
  • arkieoscar
    Options

No matter how it's justified, it's still a shame. If your 2000 BMW broke down, you would expect to be able to repair it even though most of the same arguments could be made. It's hard enough to justify the expense of "going solar" without having to replace major components in less than 10 years. It looks like we'll go with the XWs and repair the old ones when the part are available.
  • Solar Guppy
    Options

You haven't obviously actually tried out your example, try getting an electronic part for a 8 year old car, once the manufacture stock is gone, its all the secondary market and the sky is the limit for prices.

Few years ago I went to get a AC control module for a Chrysler car, the dealer wanted 900.00 for a 8 year old car part ... I found one in a junk yard for 10 bucks ... just using this as a real world example, not some expectation.

Keep in mind, the production scale is about 100 to 1000 times different for RE products to something like an car, with such a small market, its not profitable for anyone to stock parts or repair units.

I hope you find the new XW's preform well in you application!
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not to be too argumentative,

However, Inverters are expensive. Have a pair of 5548 SW+'s which are about 2.5 years old. Bought them new. Cost close to $6K. I expect them to go at least 10 years of normal service, plus another 5-8 years after some repair or another.

If I found that they were unrepairable, or that there was a delay in repair due to parts unavailability of more than one week, then I'd be very disappointed, and perhaps not consider ANY product from that manufacturer EVER AGAIN.

There is an implied contract of continued service / support availability for the future. Lightning damage may be an extraordinary event, but not uncommon. Off-grid systems supply a critical need for their users. I would expect Xantrex to keep repair parts available for 15 years or so from the last production. They con choose how they will do this. This might require tweaking the design to accommodate newer parts to repalce obsolete ones, or stocking up on parts becoming obsloete. This should be part of their business model.

Off-Grid systems already have enough consumable parts as it is IMHO.

I have been very pleased with 5548 SW+'s (with the major exception of the way the chargers GULP AC input current). Do not look foreward to stocking spare inverters, because the factory will NOT.
    Sorry for the Rantette. Good Luck with the big X. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • nigtomdaw
    nigtomdaw Solar Expert Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Options

When X announced the pre launch on the new XW system it was stated that they would supply parts for the SW for 5 years after it no longer shipped complete units. , I guess this was added to stop existing SW sales dropping through the floor . So we need to be asking this on X Forum I guess. :grr
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

going back to the original problem, LIGHTNING HIT!...

now I am no expert in electrical or electronics, trees are my gig, BUT in my small brain I can not see how anyone can expect to repair a device that has been hit by up to millions of volts or whatever they go to , and still expect that anything more than the exterior case, frame or ? can be recovered. Gee it still LOOKS OK...

To expect that one can put in one or 2 re/re parts/components and , voila! have the device working is suffering from severely heightened expectations. Not saying one can be lucky and get it going again... and then have another part fail quite soon.

Look at a car, Oh, it is just a simple (small) dent, and it will cost thousands to fix. It is not just the obvious that has been damaged, there is lots that can not be seen.

My experience is that once an article has reached its natural end of service life, one can nurse it along for a while longer (usually at great expense or always waiting for it to fail, again) , but a cataclysmic end of life (lightning) = replacement, no way around it.

HTH, just my 2 cents type rant..8)

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

West,

Well, most Lightning damage is NOT from a direct hit on a part of the system, but a near hit, or perhaps 1/2 mile or so away -- depends on many things. This was not mentioned in the post.

In a direct hit, one is often lucky to have anything left after the quite-possible fire. And might feel quite lucky to be still living.
    For close and more distant hits , suppression helps, and often just a few components are fried. Wind turbines on towers, and perhaps roof-mounted panels increase the likelyhood of direct hits.

With lightning, one never knows. We do our best and so on.

But back to the subject of the orig post, it was the availability of X boards to swap, I do not recall any mention of the cost of the boards, or the number needed to repair the SW inverter, altho until boards are avail, you are correct, one does not know what will really be required.

Not to be too nit picking, just that 5-year part avail after last production seems to me to be inadequate. To me autos are not very camparable to RE systems. YMMV Vic

EDIT: I'm done ... all the best GL. Will say that if anyone knows about Lightning, if must be SG. FL has about the largest # of hits in the USA IIRC. Off to the mountains. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Solar Guppy
    Options
    Vic wrote: »
    Not to be too argumentative,

However, Inverters are expensive. Have a pair of 5548 SW+'s which are about 2.5 years old. snip ...

I would expect Xantrex to keep repair parts available for 15 years or so from the last production. Vic

The OP is repairing 8+ year old SW's not the Plus versions. I believe SW's stopped being manufactured in 2003/04

If your basis/requirements for buying an electronic device is the expectation of 15 years of parts and service availability, you won't have to worry about anything failing, no manufacture makes such a device or supports it in such a way.

Heck, I don't even know of one RE manufacture that is been in the business for 15 years.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Things should change, with the 10 year warranty's on gear, and the larger installed base, that should improve supply and repair. It always sucks to be part of someone else's learning curve. I wonder if at any point, the schematics will become available for repair shops, or if they will be classified as "trade secrets" and Mfg repairs only. I can fix a bad light socket or outlet at home, so there is no UL probation against homeowners changing their own lightbulbs without hiring a union person to do it. Or stove parts, or boiler ignitors. Granted, the right parts need to be replaced to restore the unit to new, "qualified" condition, and to protect the lineman from "Islands". But with usable schematics & parts lists, that should be able to be accomplished.

But for Xantrex to think they can prevent UL de-listing, by locking owners into only their repair shop, with only their parts, on the Xantrex timetable, is going to waste a lot of folks time, and won't make any friends. This goes for any RE gear mfg, If my house is "down" for more than 72 hours, and it's not a national emergency, I'm going to be steamed. (and my ice cream melty).

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• arkieoscar
    Options

The lightning strike was not anywhere near direct. There were some diodes shorted in one of the combiner boxes and I'm replacing 4 arrestors to be sure that the protection will still be there. One of the two inverters would boot but there was no response to the keypad. The other would not do anything. The service center says that both need the main control board. It would still be nice to have some support from the manufacturer. BTW-The boards list at $550 ea. They should be able to have some made quickly, even if they don't make a large profit on them or ask that their authorized service centers return the damaged one for repair.
  • arkieoscar
    Options

Still no response from X on what they recommend we do but to give a little example of how it should be done- I am restoring a 71 Honda SL350 motorcycle. I made a list of parts that I need and ordered them online through a Honda dealer. I ordered some gaskets, rubber parts and some electrical parts. They got back to me in a few minutes and said that one gasket was unavailable and they didn't know when it would be back in stock. Honda made the last of this model in 1974. I guess I should have thrown the bike away but I paid $800 for it in 71 and it's worth $3k now, restored.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Well, if you can't find them on Ebay--then make what you need yourself?

A French Gentleman making his own Vacuum Tubes (Triode?). The Website is in French--but scroll down to bottom for video (no narration--just background music). Simply amazing.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • arkieoscar
    Options

Sure. I'll make the gasket myself. The point was that I could still get most any part from the original manufacturer. They didn't tell me to throw it away and buy one of their new models. I know they made a lot of them (over thirty yrs. ago) but it's a comment on Honda's support for their products and one reason people continue to buy them.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

arkieoscar,

Sorry, my comment was intended as a lead-in to the very impressive video about home-made vacuum tubes (pretty much built on home made equipment down to his own plastic injection molding equipment to make the tube base).

I remember making my own gaskets years ago with cork or manila folders, a ball peen hammer, and tapping the material on the motor castings.

Not sure it would be as easy to make a copper/asbestos composite gasket. ;)

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • arkieoscar
    Options

Thanks BB.
    I saw the video. I was impressed. I'm sure a lot of people on this board make their own gear. The video was well done, too, I liked the music.