US based solar panel producers

Redford
Redford Solar Expert Posts: 38 ✭✭
I was trying to come up with a list of US based solar panel producers today and could only come up with a handful. Sunpower, Evergreen, EPV solar, Sunwize, First solar, and the BP's California division (of which BP is still based out of the UK)

With the market for solar products growing/changing rapidly and new companies coming and going, how does the US fair in the solar renewable energy field? Which companies has the greatest innovations come from in the past decade?

I would fully expect the market for solar based products to be ever growing in the next few years and wonder just how far behind or ahead US based producers are?

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Re: US based solar panel producers

Most SunWize panels are not made in the US. Most SolarWorld (ex-Shell) are made in California.

Many of the Kyocera are made in Mexico, just across the border in one of those "enterprise zones".
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

you can add solar power industries being they are about 50 miles from me and i think unisolar still is us based.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

You can add Sharp to your list: http://solar.sharpusa.com/files/sol_dow_TNPlant_PR101603.pdf

Cheers,

Bad Apple
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

And soon, our buddies over at OutBack Power will be releasing their PV modules. The silicon is also made in Washington state... These are targeted mainly for Washington state applications AFAIK.

boB :D

www.silicon-energy.com

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2007/11/19/story9.html?ana=from_rss
  • System2

You can add United Solar to the list.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

boB, is there something special about Washington state apps? I.e. similar to BC apps... ??

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    westbranch wrote: »
    boB, is there something special about Washington state apps? I.e. similar to BC apps... ??
    Eric

If the inverter, PV modules and controller are manufactured in the state of Washington, the utility will pay 50 something (56? maybe) cents per kW-hour of energy produced. This is capped at around 2000 to 4000 dollars per year.

If, say, the inverter is made in Washington state but the PV is not, then they will pay less... something around 18 cents per kWh. I don't remember the exact figures, but it's not a bad deal.

REC (the Norwegian company) makes PV stuff in Eastern Wa (Moses Lake) and makes the PV cells that OutBack (Silicon Energy) is using.

Attached is a picture of their PV modules at the U of WA and a new version of the PS1 it is hooked up to.

boB :D
  • System2

Redford,
    Have you published your compiled list somewhere on-line?
  • niel
    You can add United Solar to the list.

united solar is unisolar just for the record and was mentioned by me.

boB,
    that's a sweet deal and is a nice way to get and keep businesses in the state too. too bad my state doesn't do something like this statewide.
    i'm still waiting for my state to allow people in my area to get incentives and it feels like waiting on nanosolar to market $1/w pvs or something as it just isn't happening. it's funny as i saw a recent mailing of my local state representative and he was boasting of how he's for solar and voted to increase the funds for renewables for the state. i called his office and asked the lady how can i benefit from this as ironically nobody in his area of representation is eligible for it? i even gave the dsireusa site as proof for me on this and needless to say i never heard an answer back. isn't that a big surprise?:roll::cry: i just thought i'd share that tidbit of how stupid our representatives really are without getting into politics as i kept this quite general.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

BP's plant in Frederick, Maryland, about 50 miles NW of Washington, D.C., is the North American headquarters for BP Solar product development, technology, sales & marketing, and manufacturing.

More info: http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9019554&contentId=7036775

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
  • niel

you mean the old solarex place, right? i remember seeing that as i drove by it about 25 years ago. it was something to see with all of those pvs facing south as i drove by it on the highway. do they still have all of those pvs jim?
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

That's the place, just on the north side of the Interstate 70. Still there, the big "wedge" with the south side covered with PV modules.

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer