Xantrex 5.0 vs 4.0

wilsonbh
wilsonbh Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
I'm trying to understand the functional differences between the Xantrex GT 5.0 and the 4.0.

Does anyone here have any experience with these? It appears from looking over the manual that the only real difference is the 5.0 can handle a 3rd string and put out more power (obviously). Is this the case? If it is, it would seem to me that it might be better to go ahead and buy the 5.0 for possible future panel add-ons via that 3rd string.

Any words on this from anyone would be appreciated.

BW

Comments

• jza80
    jza80 Registered Users Posts: 13
    Re: Xantrex 5.0 vs 4.0

I have a Sunpower-branded GT 5.0, AFAIK by reading the product manuals you are correct. Also the efficiency is slightly different between the 2 models.

If you are thinking about expanding your system in the future, this would be a good way to go as the difference in initial purchase cost is small.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Wilson, you do realize all the money is gone for the 2008-2009 Florida rebate program?. If you apply now, best case it will be 1 year before you get rebated funds

Go with the GT5.0, I have a pair and they are great inverters

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/energy/energyact/solar.htm, read about the funds
  • wilsonbh
    Wilson, you do realize all the money is gone for the 2008-2009 Florida rebate program?. If you apply now, best case it will be 1 year before you get rebated funds

Go with the GT5.0, I have a pair and they are great inverters

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/energy/energyact/solar.htm, read about the funds

Yes, I'm very aware of the state of funding for the rebates. The reality is it's becoming more like 2 years before reimbursment is realized. Many of the people paid this year had their applications in for nearly two years. Wish the State would increase the funding allocation. It's a good deal for sure.

I agree, the GT5 appears to be a little better (capable) than the GT4. Will probably go with the GT5 and SHARP 224w panels.
  • wilsonbh

SOLAR GUPPY: Is there any advantage to getting a GT5 versus a GT4 in light of the fact that I plan to build my system but want to meet the minimum KW requirement by FPL for installation, first.

Their KW requirement is 2kw. I'd like to put in one string and then later one, add another string with funding permits.

What are you thoughts on such an approach?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not SG, but here's my thought re Installing 2Kw strings.

That's a "safe" and redundant way to grow a system.
    Each "addition" will need a new permit & application, and fees, and inspections.
    _
    ___ vs

Install big honking inverter now, and 2KW of panels. Bootleg the other panels as you can afford them. Should be safe, if you engineer the mountings at the first go-round. No redundancy though. Rebate won't cover the extra 3KW of inverter
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Personally, I would go with the GT5.0 .... The cost difference is minimal between the GT4 to GT5 and it will allow you to easily grow your system later