Survivorman Les Stroud's Off-Grid System

Options
SolarJohn
SolarJohn Solar Expert Posts: 202 ✭✭
It seems that Les has built an off-grid cabin for himself and his family, and equipped it with a 450-watt PV system and a windmill. (I saw this on the Science Channel last night). I found it odd that all of his lights seem to be incandescent types instead of the more energy-efficient CFL's.

It also seems that building a cabin in the middle of the winter, and bringing in materials by helecopter, doesn't seem very realistic for a reality program. Did anyone else see the program? Comments?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Survivorman Les Stroud's Off-Grid System

Yep, I posted a link to the Google Video of that very TV show a couple weeks ago... It is a bit over an hour long--sit down with a cold beverage of your choice to watch--and make sure you don't spray it at your computer when the helicopter (was it 9 trips with a Jet Ranger?) is brought in to build a sustainable life-style.

I have to give it to Les--he appeared to video and broadcast the major portions of his "sustainable cabin conversion" project--warts and all...

Had to wonder how much "help" he got--sort of blew through the planning/numbers of his solar system... Obviously, electrics/electronics is not his main interest--and probably would not have made for an interesting show for the other 99% of the population.

I was very impressed that the solar panels appeared to be in 1/2 shade at high noon from an overhead tree...

In the end, it looks more like a vacation home/survivalist get-a-way than a a good example of sustainable living. Between the 4x4 pickup to get to the store/work/supplies (required during mud/snow seasons) and other equipment he appeared to have purchased to maintain the land (multipurpose tractor thing) and such--just another suburban lifestyle with moderate attempts at conservation/off-grid living.

Will probably work well for him and his family--but not necessarily a new way for the other 6.6 billion people in the world live.

-Bill

PS: Looks like the original link is no longer functions... Here is a Youtube version:
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Options
    SolarJohn wrote: »
    ...I found it odd that all of his lights seem to be incandescent types instead of the more energy-efficient CFL's.

If it's really cold there while doing construction, incandescent lights would start right up. CFL's might be very dim or not work until warmed up. Presumably, he could change over to more efficient bulbs at a later time.
  • DagoRanch
    DagoRanch Registered Users Posts: 8
    Options

Ooooh, my first post!

I saw this when it first appeared on "Planet Green" a few weeks ago. Good show... but bear in mind some of the "details".

The show was actually made 10+ years ago! (Original Air Date was in 1999) That may be why the lack of CFL's. I also loved the fact that he stated many times being concerned about costs... then we see helicopters being flown in and a solar system that by the glances I caught looked to be in the tens of thousands of dollars. Wish they would have gotten into details of the system.
  • BB.
    Options

I believe the show I linked to is much newer--the copyright date is 2006... Les and his wife back around 1994 did a real off-grid existence show--full living off the land as an earlier pioneer/settler family would (as I understand from this latest show).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • DagoRanch
    DagoRanch Registered Users Posts: 8
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    I believe the show I linked to is much newer--the copyright date is 2006...

You know what, you're probably right. I was going by the original air date on my DVR. I took a look at his website and apparently he did this between "Survivor Man" seasons, which makes 2006 most likely.

I thought it was quite odd for the show to be that old! :cool:
  • BB.
    Options

Here is a "print" interview of Les released before the Nov 28th 2006 first airing of this show.... Does not have much information at all in the interview... Other than than his cabin/home is ~25km from his office/existing home.

-Bill