Design docs, schematics for building department

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
My biodiesel co-operative set up a B100 pump, off-grid, with two panels, two batteries and an inverter.

We were told since it was off-grid, and a piece of equipment, it didn't have to be permitted. Turns out that was bad advice.

We have to permit the electrical system. So we need NEC compliant, building-department acceptable design schematics. Of course we have no real budget for that.

What is the best way to approach this? Is there any service out there that we could send the system information to and get such a drawing for a reasonable cost (doesn't need to be stamped)? Or where could I at least see such a document so that I could draw the thing up myself?

Thanks a lot! Rich Deming

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Design docs, schematics for building department

See if you can get a copy of a "successful submission" to your local building department from them... (perhaps just bring a good digital camera and ask to review a design they would like you to follow--many local departments don't have a good way of making copies).

Just tell them you want to ensure that you will be submitting your package in a form "that they are used to/that is acceptable to them"...

From what I recall (for my Grid Tied Solar install), the diagrams are not very detailed.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset