Info nn DIY First Time SOlar Project (Small Scale)

Options
biznitch15
biznitch15 Registered Users Posts: 7
Hey guys, looking for some info or direction on how to get my hands dirty for the first time In Solar Electric. I was thinking of doing a small project nothing expensive (under $500) to get myself familiar with Solar and possibly down the road gradually doing bigger projects. Any Ideas of what i can do?

I've posted a couple of Threads on this forume recently and I'm getting some good info and learning new stuff, but since I'm not an electrician and dont know the Lingo, I would appreciate some help, Thanks!

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Info nn DIY First Time SOlar Project (Small Scale)

Find a panel, charge controller, msw inverter, perhaps on E-bay. Read all you can here and elsewhere. Plug it all in, and watch what happens. Couple it to a car battery to keep it up if it sits idle for a time, keep the lawn mower battery charged. Plug the inverter in, maybe run some outside led lights at night. Lotsa fun things to do.

I will warn you however, that playing with this stuff is addictive. I find myself looking around for other things I could add to my system that I don't need.

Good luck, and welcome to this world,

Tony
  • SolarJohn
    SolarJohn Solar Expert Posts: 202 ✭✭
    Options

Plan for expansion. Choose the components carefully, in a way that you can easily enlarge your system. Once you get started, you'll want "more power". You might consider increasing your budget just a little. You'll get more watts for the $ with larger solar panels.

I've listed my goals, and calculated how to enlarge my system in order to accomplish them. I expand as my budget allows. My goals include providing emergency power in various weather conditions, and to reduce my utility bills.
  • biznitch15
    biznitch15 Registered Users Posts: 7
    Options
    Re: Info on DIY First Time Solar Project (Small Scale)

Nice Ideas Guys, This should of been the first question i asked when i first joined the Forum, I will definately plan to Expand!!

So lets say, I want to have a battery for my first project, what are the basic components to get everything working? Let's say i want to power up a 65watt light throughout the night?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

65watts * 10 hours = 750 watt*hours or 0.75 kWhrs...

At $0.10 per kWhr, $0.075 per night...

Using Off-Grid solar, probably closer to $0.75-$1.00 per night (capital costs + battery replacements / [25 year life * # of kWhrs per 25 years]).

Will require something like $1,500 of solar panels (~350 watts at $5 per watt) just to power the one 65 light, excluding battery--another couple hundred dollars, solar charge controller, inverter, etc.

Use a 13 watt CFL security light, pay about 1/6 the amount of money (much smaller solar system required to power smaller light)...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset