Where do you think PV prices will go ?

Options
In the next 6 months to 1 year, where do you think things will go as far as cost per watt percentage wise ?

Comments

• newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Where do you think PV prices will go ?

Interesting topic to me right now because I've bid some new construction projects and I will be advising people whether they should pay up now and lock in a price or not.

My guess is prices won't change much in the short term. It seems like supply and demand are both increasing and while energy and transportation costs are increasing, production costs are probably decreasing.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Options

No inside info here, but we are expecting a short term small rise, mainly due to increased material and shipping costs. Just a guess but I suspect that prices for the raw solar panels will drop a little this fall, mainly due to over supply.

But overall I don't see any large price changes either way for at least a year.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

I think the whole question is moot. This debate has been going on for 30 years and it's been a slow process, I suspect things will not change. As soon as my ship comes in I'm going to bite the bullet. I just thought I'd ask and see what other thought. Thanks.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Based on some of the thin film printing technology being developed now I see prices coming down a bit in the next year.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hydrokevin wrote: »
    Based on some of the thin film printing technology being developed now I see prices coming down a bit in the next year.

I'll make that 10 years. Nothing seems to have proven itself longterm yet, other than the old reliable (and $$) panels out now. We've been hearing $1/watt for 10 years, and they still aren't here. (I want my flying car too !!)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Telco
    Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mike90045 wrote: »
    I'll make that 10 years. Nothing seems to have proven itself longterm yet, other than the old reliable (and $$) panels out now. We've been hearing $1/watt for 10 years, and they still aren't here. (I want my flying car too !!)

Oh geez not the flying car! I DON'T want to see that, at least not for the masses. Imagine it, people with their cell phones hanging off their ear with a burger in one hand and the paper in another, along with three screaming kids in the back, trying to manage 3 possible axis of direction instead of just the two (well, really one) they try to travel now. Not to mention, now they can hit ANYWHERE, not just something off the road. If we go to flying cars I'm building a house that can handle a direct impact from the Space Shuttle. I don't support flying cars unless you are REQUIRED to either have a special license to fly manually OR have an autopilot control the vehicle for you, and autopilot scares me because it would be a centrally managed system subject to hacking.

I'm already very concerned about the drive by wire systems coming out, as the transmission and throttle are now electronically controlled with no mechanical connection between the two on many vehicles, AND they have bluetooth capability. Once they get steer by wire and brake by wire worked out for mass production, it'll just be a matter of time before hackers start breaking into vehicle operating systems. And, I forsee two possible outcomes here: Either a hacker will drive around a parking lot selecting what cars he wants to steal, then breaks the system and programs it to drive itself to a chop shop at 3AM, or they take control of the car while you are in it and, say, drive the car through a school playground at recess or some crap like that. I can also see potential insurance problems, like a hacker that takes control of the car behind, and makes the car accelerate into the back of their car for a whiplash suit. There's big bucks in whiplash suits, and how would the insurance company prove that the vehicle was tampered with? Even if they did, they'd still be liable for the damage caused unless they could specifically prove the victim did the tampering.

Heh heh, as you can tell, this sort of thing is one of my hobby horses, thanks for giving me a reason to take it for a ride!
  • newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If the federal tax credit is not renewed there will be a dramatic slowdown in large commercial projects. Also, there are issues with the incentives in Spain and even in Germany.

Perhaps over the next year or two there will be some decrease in demand, just as supply is increasing.

Could be prices will come down?

I don't think they'll crash or anything, because lower prices will bouy demand.