Gots Me a Problem..

12vman
12vman Solar Expert Posts: 25 ✭✭
Lightning got my C-12 controller that operates my outside lighting... Bummer..

Is there a place that I could ship it to get it repaired or would it even be worth it? Do you think that the repair cost could/might be as much as a new unit?

Thanks in advance..
~Don

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Gots Me a Problem..

buy another one because even if it wasn't totally fried the components are stressed and are likely to fail anyway. did you have any lightning protection going for you and was it a direct strike or emp? if not on the protection then you may wish to consider taking some kind of steps to help thwart any reoccurance in the future.
  • 12vman
    12vman Solar Expert Posts: 25 ✭✭

It was EMP. I had a close strike and I heard a "Snap" in my lower room where that system is set up..

I figure that I've used that controller for over 12 years so I got my use from it. (It was my very first controller)

Thanks, Niel. I'll just get me a new one and add some grounding. I don't know if grounding would have saved it or not. That strike was really close! It didn't get my C-40, thank goodness..
    ~Don
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

grounding is good, but may or may not have saved it. if the offending emp went into it on the lead that would've been grounded, i'll say ok it could've been saved. unfortunately, it could travel the other ungrounded lead too. also note that very long ground leads could negate the protection of a ground to the emp energy that is higher in frequency with that ground lead actually acting like an antenna, but that's another ball of wax to get into.
    you can look up the lightning discussions and even those on grounding, but try movs, gas discharge tubes, or even my idea of diodes with the next highest piv than the highest pv voltage capability. if we use this symbol > for the diode and the point is positive then they could get wired liked this:
    pv+ <> pv-
    yes 2 diodes in series, but opposite in polarity. zener regulator diodes do this too, but are prone to blowout due to limited power handling abilities. diodes such as the 1n4000 series have huge surge current capabilties and will breakdown in the reverse with voltages higher than the piv ratings making it a near short under those circumstances. if your pv's fuse or circuit breaker is between the pvs and the diode protection circuit, then the fuse or circuit breaker may even pop if the high current is there long enough, but i wouldn't count on it as that is usually a very short duration of time for that high current emp.
    if sending to a seperate ground wire too then you could in addition to those 2 diodes between the + and - pv leads have the same type diodes used, but only use one for each polarity. the positive lead will have a diode with the diode's positive to the + pv lead and the diode - going to the ground wire. similar on pv- lead as the diode negative is connected to the pv- and the diode + goes to the ground wire.
    do i use them like this? yes and no. i only use the one diode going to ground as i had just described for pv+ lead to the diode+ and then to ground from the diode -. this is good for a high positive em pulse travelling down my pv+ lead towards my controller.
    i have rattled on too much as there are other ways of protection too, but i'll stop.