Newbie here...

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Hi Guys,

Quick question.. i live in the city and i want to save some money on my bills.. I cant use a windmill, I want to try hooking up a solar power water heater.. can someone please send me some instructions for example how to.... and what is the cost range?

Thanks so much

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Newbie here...

If you want a do-it-yourself kit... This one appears to be hard to beat:

www.solarroofs.com

Solar Guppy has many years experience with a system from them and has been pretty happy. It does require proper maintenance to keep running well and to prevent problems (like freeze damage).

There have been a few threads here that link back to several extensive home projects--right down to installation photos, and documentation of mistakes and corrections...

Link 1
    Link 2

Fpllow the off-forum links. The several projects/websites highlighted are very educational.

This is an interesting project for a solar heated shed and a control the guy now sells to support a pure DC off-grid solar heating system.

And this one is a bit more low tech home made heating system. Also very interesting and informative.

Between the two above links, they probably give the best detailed explanations of how to do a major home heating/domestic hot water project that I have seen.

The second one is, by itself, probably not practical for a city home system--but both give great ideas of the scope of such projects.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I live in Ontario Canada would you know how much it would be roughly?
  • BB.

Solarroofs.com has price lists (for US delivery)... I am really guessing (don't sell solar, have not bought/built a thermal system myself, and I don't live in Canada), but you should probably budget somewhere between $5-$10,000 for delivery into Canada before even thinking about starting such a system with store-bought components.

Since you are in an area with Hard Freezes, you are pretty stuck with using an antifreeze based system--more expensive, more maintenance, etc...

You could use a drain back system (empties collectors of water during freezing conditions)--will work--but not during the winter for you.

There are evacuated tube type "panels" which will very hot water during very cold weather--but one interesting point from people which make traditional glass/plastic covered panels--snow will thaw quicker on a traditional panel than an evacuated tube type (heat not available to melt snow).

If you just want home heating--there are some solar thermal panels which you can buy (or even build) that circulate air through the panels and vent it into your home for space heating--a pretty cheap option and you can even build it yourself out of local material to see how it works.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2

Suspect he may have been looking for a $500.00 PV system that would power his hot water heater.
  • Telco
    Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suspect he may have been looking for a $500.00 PV system that would power his hot water heater.

Aren't we all.

Actually, the drainback system should work well in the winter too. My hero here reports temperatures as high as 200+ degrees inside of 10 minutes on a 25 degree day when no fluid was being pumped. Roll to the bottom, the report begins at "Collector Venting." I don't know where this fellow lives, but it looks like he's near the Rocky Mountains, everyone is wearing ski gear, and there's plenty of snow around.
  • System2

Hi Guys, I live in Toronto Ontario we have amazing summers with alot of sun...as for our winters....they get pretty cold... so as per the commets below i would need to purchase a antifreeze based system...

See i want something that can heat up my water and also provide me some Electricity...

I see that the solar water heaters are way cheaper then getting solar electricity... i think i will start by finding a solar water system that works for me... which do you guys suggest??

Also i see below that i can build my own??? is there like a how to step on this?

again thanks alot :)
  • BB.

Follow the links in the second post... There are two extensive projects shown--photos, parts, mistakes all included.

-Bill