Solar Array Field Catch Fence

Mangas
Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
When I built my system, I decided to build a "low intensity" rabbit fence (minimal shadow orientation) wired to T-Posts surrounding the array field.

I was concerned about high winds some day blowing loose debris into the field as well as grazing critters. At the time some people, including me, thought it was probably overkill. The investment was about $500.

Well, the past two days we had continuous 60 - 70 mph high wind gusts. The "fence" caught several large pieces of horizontal flying debris that could have done serious damage to one or more of the panels.

Just thought I'd pass along my expeience.
Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Array Field Catch Fence

i'm glad your forethought saved you some aggravation and money. you had doubts if you were wasting your time and now you know better.
  • Telco
    Telco Solar Expert Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Array Field Catch Fence

Neat. Pics?

This sentence is extra characters so the board will allow the post.