Solar Panel in Death Valley

machineman
machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
I was in Death Valley last week and saw this Weather station set-up. The panels skins are completely fractured but appear to still be working. Do you think high summer heat did this? Temps get to 120+degF

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Panel in Death Valley

looks to me like a rock was thrown at it ... notice the left panel, center left has the impact signs

Those are old solarex panels, I have 20 of them on my roof and they have been great panels
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

Near Badwater in Death Valley (lowest point in continental US), a couple years ago I saw a similar setup--appeared to be a remote weather station with torn up sensors and beat to death solar panels...

However, mounted on the Out House a hundred yards away was a working station complete with solar panels and sensors.

The first station appeared to be left behind to "attract" attacks while the working station installed on smelly building was left alone.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • machineman
    machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    Near Badwater in Death Valley (lowest point in continental US), a couple years ago I saw a similar setup--appeared to be a remote weather station with torn up sensors and beat to death solar panels...

However, mounted on the Out House a hundred yards away was a working station complete with solar panels and sensors.

The first station appeared to be left behind to "attract" attacks while the working station installed on smelly building was left alone.

-Bill

Yep, same panels..

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

That would be wild if intense heat could cause that type of damage.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Heat doesn't ...

The Glass is good to 300+ degrees ... only vandals cause that kind of damage