MX60 Operating Modes

I have an Outback Grid Tie system and a buddy south of me has almost the identical system. We have compared notes and our systems seem to operating a little different and we can't figure out why. Both systems perform very well and we are both able to sell power back to the utilty company. Our systems include 2 Outback GVFX Inverters, 2 Outback MX60 Charger Controllers and a 48v battery bank consisting of AGM batteries. My system wakes in the morning and goes into B-MPPT Mode for about an hour, then it switches to GT Mode for the rest of the day. The system down south, wakes up and stays in B-MPPT Mode all day. He was told that he wants his system in that mode all day. Is it okay that mine system is in GT- Mode all day and his is in B-MPPT Mode all day?

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: MX60 Operating Modes

I can't answer that question, although I'm sure others on here can. In the meantime, you might consider posting this question on the dedicated Outback form:

http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

Good luck
    Wayne
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Outback Forums recently updated their site. I have been registered since Feb '07. When I went to post my question there, it kept asking for my username and password. It would log me on but immediately bring me back to the log in screen where it asked for my username and password again. Was hoping I could get an answer from this forum.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

DeanO,

The OutBack forum recently went through an upgrade and is experiencing some teething problems. Give Scott a few more days to sort it out.

Sounds to me like your system is operating correctly. Displaying “GT Mode” means that the controller has achieved its absorption voltage target, that inverter is in “sell” mode and that the MX and inverter are communicating correctly.

Your buddy’s system may just need a couple of minor adjustments. I suspect his MX may be operating in non-GT mode, which is why the MX is displaying B-MPPT for such a long time. Have him go into the ADVANCED MENU’s > MPPT MODE screen and check the grid-tie (GT) setting. It should be set to “GT” (and not “nonGT”) for his system.

And, here’s another tip from an old “G” inverter manual (I don't know if OutBack still recommends this configuration):
    Additionally, the “Absorb” voltage of the GFX must be below the “Absorb” voltage of the MX-60. It is a good idea to lower the “Absorb” voltage of the GFX down to 28.2 volts (for a 24 volt battery bank) or 56.4 (for a 48 volt battery bank) unless the “Absorb” voltage is already set to this value...
    HTH,
    Jim / crewzer