Week's worth of production and consumption

autoxsteve
autoxsteve Solar Expert Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭
Well, after today I have had my system on for a week and I'm very pleased with its production. Here are the totals for the last week:

date meter read daily production total production
3/18 73569 27 kWh 27 kWh

3/19 73562 27 kWh 54 kWh

3/20 73553* 27 kWh 81 kWh

3/21 73546* 26 kWh 107 kWh

3/22 73536 27 kWh 134 kWh

3/23 73528 26 kWh 160 kWh

3/24 73498 27 kWh 187 kWh

* - estimated

From the #s, I'm going to wait for 'june gloom' to set in but if I'm going to make approx 8-9 kWh per day, half the time, then I may be able to swing an electric clothes dryer to gobble up the extra production!

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Week's worth of production and consumption

Looks great... and, the meter's going backwards!!

:cool:
    Jim / crewzer
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    autoxsteve wrote: »
    I'm going to wait for 'june gloom' to set in but if I'm going to make approx 8-9 kWh per day, half the time, then I may be able to swing an electric clothes dryer to gobble up the extra production!

Naw, you need the extra summer KWH to offset the short & bad angle winter months, when you run more lights, and furnace blower. You are likely on a year long Net Metering plan, and the short winter months get "unwound" by the summers.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• wilsonbh
    wilsonbh Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

My power rates are $.1137/kWh.

Based upon your production numbers, I would save on average $85/month on my electric based upon my consumption. That's only $1,020/year.

Again, without the rebate, this is really not smart use of my money. If I could get the rebate and only have an out of pocket expense not to exceed $6K, the payback then becomes reasonable.

Just my view....
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Well, since you want someone else to pay for your system, your wish has been granted :roll:

http://www.fplsunshineenergy.com/sunfunds/apply.shtml

your power company is offering 1.50 watt on top of the State rebate of 4.00 watt ... 5.50 a watt when the panels only cost 3.60 watts ... this won't last long!
  • wilsonbh
    Well, since you want someone else to pay for your system, your wish has been granted :roll:

http://www.fplsunshineenergy.com/sunfunds/apply.shtml

your power company is offering 1.50 watt on top of the State rebate of 4.00 watt ... 5.50 a watt when the panels only cost 3.60 watts ... this won't last long!

I very much want my own system, but won't/can't do it or justify it unless there is a reasonable payback. Unless one can get the rebates, this is not a smart thing to do.

The roofers finish up my roof this week so I'm pushing ahead on getting my own system. My goal is 24 Evergreen panels (190w) with a Xantrex GT 4000 inverter. I understand everything now and am working this myself under a local electrician, who will sign me off when completed. Hopefully, this will put me into the rebate line for when they get the funds approved. Florida has exhausted its present rebate account and it won't be replenished until July and only if they approve the budget.
  • Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭
    wilsonbh wrote: »

The roofers finish up my roof this week so I'm pushing ahead on getting my own system. My goal is 24 Evergreen panels (190w) with a Xantrex GT 4000 inverter. I understand everything now and am working this myself under a local electrician, who will sign me off when completed. Hopefully, this will put me into the rebate line for when they get the funds approved. Florida has exhausted its present rebate account and it won't be replenished until July and only if they approve the budget.

Well, at the very least, get the standoffs for the mounting system put onto your roof. It's the least trouble doing that when the roof covering is still off. You can decide later, based on your legislature, whether the solar system makes sense.
  • Roderick
    Roderick Solar Expert Posts: 253 ✭✭
    autoxsteve wrote: »
    Well, after today I have had my system on for a week and I'm very pleased with its production. Here are the totals for the last week:

date meter read daily production total production
    3/18 73569 27 kWh 27 kWh

Great results! Looks like you'll be pulling down kWh's in the 30's in the summer!
  • wilsonbh
    Roderick wrote: »
    Well, at the very least, get the standoffs for the mounting system put onto your roof. It's the least trouble doing that when the roof covering is still off. You can decide later, based on your legislature, whether the solar system makes sense.

My roof is a standing seam metal roof. Installing solar panels onto it's surface is very easy. A company called "Dynamic Fasteners" makes a clamp just for these types of roofs that hold the panels inplace making the install easy and simple. Here is an scan of their product:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj301/wilsonbh/solarclamp.jpg

I don't think this installation will take very long. The hard part will be running the conduit with wires in it to the inverter. Using the Xantrex eliminates some hardware such as the combiner and the disconnects. Very easy install...I'm looking forward to it. Had a ball installing my standby generator. Was great fun wiring it into the circuit breaker panel.

The wheels are in motion. I'll post pictures of my progress when it gets started.

Bill
  • marks
    marks Registered Users Posts: 17

In crunching the numbers and the yield on investment, it's important to consider that often times in California, the rates are progressive as the consumption increases. For instance in PG&E territory, the upper two rate tiers charge more than $.35 per kw/h. Furthermore, if the alternative energy choice is propane additional savings can be realized. Moreover in light of the increased oil prices, I assume there is an increased probability that electricity rates will increase at a greater rate than has been realized in the past, i.e. the current Los Angeles DWP rate hikes. Lastly, as demand for PV continues to increase there maybe upward pressure on the price of panels.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

in time the rates will go up for consumers and may even be higher for certain times of the day due to higher power demands, but i fail to see what the price of oil has to do with it as most utility power is of coal, nuclear, lng, and hydro.
  • newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

"June gloom"

You must be nearby. I'm in Manhattan Beach.

It's probably out of line for a new guy to say he'd be love to check out your system. Remind me to ask when I have a few more posts.
  • newenergy
    newenergy Solar Expert Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    marks wrote: »
    In crunching the numbers and the yield on investment, it's important to consider that often times in California, the rates are progressive as the consumption increases. For instance in PG&E territory, the upper two rate tiers charge more than $.35 per kw/h. Furthermore, if the alternative energy choice is propane additional savings can be realized. Moreover in light of the increased oil prices, I assume there is an increased probability that electricity rates will increase at a greater rate than has been realized in the past, i.e. the current Los Angeles DWP rate hikes. Lastly, as demand for PV continues to increase there maybe upward pressure on the price of panels.

In SCE the upper tiers I've seen are $.44/kwh.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    , but i fail to see what the price of oil has to do with it as most utility power is of coal.

It takes lots of fuel to mine and deliver that coal to the generator site. Plus here in PA, the rates where held at 1999 or so levels due to price caps set by the the state. These caps are set to expire in 2010/11. PPL ( a power company near me ) has stated to expect a min. of a 30% increase. They have asked the state PU board to increase rates by 10% in 2009, another 10% in 2010 and the balance in 2011. They have ask to scaleup the increase instead of one large lump sum. I have PECO, I expect they will be going for a 35-40% increase.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

ken,
    yes, you are correct that coal does get delivered by truck often here in pa, of those plants that are run by coal. i do agree that there are many in pa run by coal. i didn't think of that aspect for the coal plants, but coal plants are not the only generating sources across the country as i had pointed out and they aren't burning the oil for power generation as i'm unaware of any in the country that do. a quick google may turn up a few, but they aren't the norm. i guess it doesn't matter as the other plants will use that excuse of rising oil prices to raise their own rates anyway and i'm sure you know our puc will cave to their wishes as they've done most of the time.
    for the record i'm under duquesne light and, though they may have some coal generators, nuclear is primary. i am also not included in the state's rebate programs as the state goes by the largest generating companies.