upgrading 24v to 48v

adas
adas Solar Expert Posts: 136 ✭✭✭✭✭
Aloha, I am running an off grid system for my office and now am getting ready to install one now for our workshop. (no grid available). I will be using large 24v electric forklift batteries and plan about 4000W in panels. So......

What are the advantages in going to a 48v system instead of 24v (I can series 2 x 24v batteries easily) other than wire size cost outlay?

thanks
frank

Comments

• crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: upgrading 24v to 48v

There are pros and cons to going from 24 V to 48. In additional to smaller (cheaper and easier to work) wire, inverter efficiency often improves.

But, a "48 V" system is really a 57 V+ system. Many DC rated switches and breakers are limited to 48 V absolute maximum, so you'll need to find/specify these types of items with higher DC voltage ratings.

Trade-offs... ;)

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • adas
    adas Solar Expert Posts: 136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: upgrading 24v to 48v
    crewzer wrote: »
    There are pros and cons to going from 24 V to 48. In additional to smaller (cheaper and easier to work) wire, inverter efficiency often improves.

But, a "48 V" system is really a 57 V+ system. Many DC rated switches and breakers are limited to 48 V absolute maximum, so you'll need to find/specify these types of items with higher DC voltage ratings.

Trade-offs... ;)

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer

Thanks, currently I am running 2 panels in series to make 58-60v in and converting to 24v battery. Then using 24v old 2400w triplite inverter. I was thinking to go to 3 panels @90 V (Voc is 41ea, so 123v should be used, I guess).

My panels are rated at 70watts, but the first totally cloudless day my MX60 saw 1805 max wattage coming out of 22 panels 1805/22= 82watts. Can this be correct?

frank