adding another small hobby SLA to 2 existing?

Options
lamplight
lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
I am seeing that I can charge a larger capacity than i currently do with my little
10 watt panel/c12 controller nightlight setup. i currently have a couple small 12v SLA's from radio shack in parallel, ones a 7ah and another is something like 4ah. not too sure but theyre small, working fine and about 1-2yrs old. ive read here that mixing batteries of different ages is bad for flooded cells, is this true with these little ones as well? and since we;'re only talking small affordable batteries here, if i DID mix them, what would be the effect? some not getting proper voltages? i wanted to add another one in parallel. just curious thanks.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: adding another small hobby SLA to 2 existing?
    lamplight wrote: »
    I am seeing that I can charge a larger capacity than i currently do with my little
    10 watt panel/c12 controller nightlight setup. i currently have a couple small 12v SLA's from radio shack in parallel, ones a 7ah and another is something like 4ah. not too sure but theyre small, working fine and about 1-2yrs old. ive read here that mixing batteries of different ages is bad for flooded cells, is this true with these little ones as well? and since we;'re only talking small affordable batteries here, if i DID mix them, what would be the effect? some not getting proper voltages? i wanted to add another one in parallel. just curious thanks.

same principles apply here. they are usually lead acid batteries, but can be of other types too. differing ages and capacities being mixed will downgrade the overall performance to the worst of the bunch with shorter lifespans likely as well. you might do better to get a larger 12v battery for yourself and be done with it especially seeing what those little batteries are costing you added up.
  • lamplight
    lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: adding another small hobby SLA to 2 existing?

ok thanks Neil! (my message is to short to post so here i am typing.... )