400 sq ft weekender cabin, off grid, designed for cooling

Mike 870Mike 870 Posts: 32Registered Users ✭✭✭
I just received my iron ridge mounting hardware that I purchased here, so figured I might as well start a build thread about my small off grid weekend place.  It's many years in the making, crazy to think I have a 10 year badge here and I'm not even close to done.  I've just completed part of the roof and hope to mount the panels if my solar feet arrive on time.  The cabin is built using advanced framing per building science corp. and is part stick framed part timber framed.  It has an R 39 roof that is vented and will have a mix of R19 and R32 walls that are also vented via site build rain screen.  The solar setup will be 260 AH at 24 volts powered by the Bogart controller/trimetric combo with 640 watts of solar and room for another string if usage ever increases.  I have loads of videos on the build so far so check out my Chanel.  This one I posted is my best edited one so far.
 https://youtu.be/viabiXnrcjs

Comments

• petertearaipetertearai Posts: 348Solar Expert ✭✭✭
    Dont worry . my 5 year project is now at year 16 . still not finished . Life gets in the way .
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . victron battery monitor . 24 volts 450 ah surette batterys . off grid  holiday home 
  • softdownsoftdown Posts: 1,892Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    I'd wrap that OSB before nature reclaims it.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Mike 870Mike 870 Posts: 32Registered Users ✭✭✭
    Well we did finally get the OSB wrapped.  The water off the roof is splashing off the deck and soaking it.  We really need some gutters.  Anyway, we just got our doors and windows in.  They are Marvin Wood Ultrex.  If anyone is building I really like them but they are pricey.  Low e is standard though which is nice.  Video update below. 

• mcgivormcgivor Posts: 2,205Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think about cladding with steel, low maintenance, lasts forever, wood is a PITA if you ask me, but then again I'm a practical person.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery bank 

mcgivor said:
    Think about cladding with steel, low maintenance, lasts forever, wood is a PITA if you ask me, but then again I'm a practical person.
    Especially practical when forest fires are a possibility. Though a couple forest fire precautions are still necessary:
    Clad all of it in steel.
    Clear 50' of combustible materials around the cabin including trees.
    Nice to have access to water so a sprinkler system can keep the area moist.

Sure would be nice if locations were presented. Location dictates so much. Plus that little C or F when referring to temps. Not talking about the OP here.

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Mike 870Mike 870 Posts: 32Registered Users ✭✭✭
    I'm strongly considering doing a wainscoting strip using the same galvalume we used on the roof.  It would take all the splashing that hits the bottom half of the cabin.  Gutters are great, but in the woods they come with their own issues.  Fire isn't much concern, we're in the midwest, and we get a good deal of rain almost all seasons.  We used to have a dry season in late June/July/August, but honestly that doesn't happen any more.  All that said, I do take out one or two junipers near the cabin each trip and get them to the burn pit.  Next trip I'll probably get the panels up on the roof.  They are currently in the loft and well, I don't want them to walk away.
  • BB.BB. Posts: 27,886Super Moderators, Administrators admin
    Be aware, generally metal siding (and structural supports) are not considered to be fire proof/resistant. Sure, sparks will "bounce" off of steel and aluminum sheets... But if you have something up against the material (brush, wood pile, other wooden structures), the heat from a well developed fire would go right through (steel starts to weaken over ~450F-800F).

Using a true fire resistant/rated material would probably be a better plan.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
    BB. said:
    Be aware, generally metal siding (and structural supports) are not considered to be fire proof/resistant. Sure, sparks will "bounce" off of steel and aluminum sheets... But if you have something up against the material (brush, wood pile, other wooden structures), the heat from a well developed fire would go right through (steel starts to weaken over ~450F-800F).

Using a true fire resistant/rated material would probably be a better plan.

-Bill
    Thats why the property needs to be cleared for 50'. My friends log home survived a huge fire that wiped out everyone that didn't clear 50'. 

Anyway the OP is reportedly not in a high fire risk area. My area just went through the 2nd largest fire in Colorado history.

Good notes on heat transferability of course. Most people do something short sighted like leaving the wooden eave or wood porch totally exposed. Only property clearing gives them a chance.

Lets maybe get back to solar since fire isn't the issue here.
  • EstragonEstragon Posts: 2,839Registered Users ✭✭✭✭✭
    I redid my cabin with 4" rigid foam added, cedar t&g, and cetol finish. Metal roof, but just couldn't bring myself to do metal or vinyl siding. The bottom 12-16" of walls above grade, I used roll aluminum over typar to mitigate problems from splashing, weeds, etc. at grade, also to deter rodents. Seems to be working well so far.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter