Mining Rig that runs 24/7 off grid

Amex
Amex Registered Users Posts: 1
So check it out, I have completed my first version of the NiceHash van we call the armadillo. I need some advice on what parts to use to step down from 48v to safely power the rig. Watch the video and let me know how to improve.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tgqskma8y9E&t=74s
Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well let's see...
    Solar voltage input is too, low; Need a voltage about 30% higher than the charging voltage.
    Battery bank is under sized to run over night for the load; battery bank is less than 2 Kwhs of storage, so a 250 watt load for about 16 hours is 4 KWhs.
    Marine starter batteries are pretty useless for deep cycling.

Since it's nearly impossible to run a 'mining rig' profitably even with cheap electric (my brother tried in Cincinnati where he was paying <7 cents a KWh and ran the numbers and found he was paying for electric and not making money.
    ...and...
    Off grid solar electric is more expensive than 7 cents a KWh…

Save your money!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    edited October 2018 #3
    Off grid solar will probably be difficult to justify, cost wise. ($1 to $2 per kwh for of grid solar is a good starting point for power costs estimate).

There are 48 VDC input power supplies for PC computers.

There is a 380 VDC power initiative for data centers (many full size PC computers can take 380 VDC input directly). Be aware that 380 VDC fed by a large battery bank is a very hazardous setup. Not really good for a hobbyist.

Long term, you need to ensure your portable system is safe too. Electrical fire fed by large battery banks are not fun.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • zarapp
    zarapp Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
    @Amex thats something i`m trying to do too ... however mine is combined  (off/on grid) . Basically if you try to go full off grid you will probably pay a lot in batteries . But if you find a way (i`m searching for it too at the moment ) to use the generated power with minimum batteries then you can take easy 10-15% annual ROI with crypto .

@Photowhit i`m paying 0.13 USD/1Kwh during the day (16 hours ) and 0.07 USD/1 Kwh during the night (8 hours) so average of 11 USD/1Kwh and without some useless internet calculators i`m breaking even on the power . So your brother should be easy 40% over the power his using for mining . Probably he missed some step (bios , miner , undervolting and such) .
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018 #5
    zarapp said:
    @Photowhit i`m paying 0.13 USD/1Kwh during the day (16 hours ) and 0.07 USD/1 Kwh during the night (8 hours) so average of 11 USD/1Kwh and without some useless internet calculators i`m breaking even on the power . So your brother should be easy 40% over the power his using for mining . Probably he missed some step (bios , miner , undervolting and such) .
    Well, I know solar and you can't get off grid solar that cheap... Grid tied without back up, perhaps.

As for my brother, I suspect it's likely he has worked out all the expenses, he's a pretty sharp cookie! Masters in Artificial Intelligence at Michigan and a Masters in Materials engineering from Stanford... He may have be including his time, but I'm sure the equipment costs and cooling costs of the home. He may have put some value on his time as well. 

I just checked, looks like he may have 1 rig still running;

https://www.nicehash.com/miner/3PEyb791KjYyxrVufrivC8b7hwgvWwU7ZG
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.