Xantrex MPPT60-150

snuffy
snuffy Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭
I'm looking at purchasing a Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC. Would like to hear about the good, bad, or ugly on them from anyone that has one or has extensive knowledge on them. Thanks Kirk

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Xantrex MPPT60-150

I don't have one, and I do not have an off-grid system where I could use one...

From what I have read here, they are a solid/reliable charge controller that does what it needs to do.

If you are installing a XW Hybrid Inverter system, you may want to use the integrated Xantrex charge controller (they share a communications bus).

They are not the most efficient unit on the block--and are slightly less efficient the higher Vmp-array>>Vbattery voltages.

The MorningStar TS MPPT family and the Midnite Solar Classic are probably on the high end of efficiency and functionality for large solar charge controllers at this time (one of the MorningStar models and the Classic support Internet connections out of the box). The Classic also has options to support wind and water turbines which can dramatically increase power production (MPPT for wind turbines--however, it is not cheap to do this).

For smaller controllers, the Rogue 30 amp 12/24 volt solar charge controller is a solid product and at a reasonable price.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Joe_B
    Joe_B Solar Expert Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have 2 of them and they do work. However if I was doing it all over again, I would stay away from XW because of the crappy software / firmware. The only reason I can see to go with X is if you need the surge capability. The hardware is well designed but the software that controls it all is riddled with bugs.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

I DO have an XW SCC. It has never worked correctly -- It was shipped with BUGGY Firmware. While I did read the manual prior to purchase, I saw nothing about needing an additional piece of Hardware (and perhaps Software) in order to field update the BUGGY FW as provided by Xantrex in the XW SCC.

This Firmware Implanter has a street price of around $250. So if the only need for this device is to update the FW in one XW SCC, this makes this Charge Controller cost about $780 street price. Not price competitive with other CCs for stand-alone configs. The need for this Implanter is a profoundly STUPID idea.

Upon purchase, I did ask the seller if this CC had the latest FW, and tha answer was, "YES !!"! Went round and 'round with X, and they finally fessed up that this was a BUG, and that a later version of FW was available, and that I could RENT an Implanter for $40-$50, but doing that seemed like a dead end, 'cause there was no certainty that FW ver.6 had any fewer BUGS than the included FW ver 4 in the controller, and may well just need to rent it again, and again ...

If you need a real CC with field updatable FW, buy a Midnite Classic CC, unless your system has other XW boxes, and there is a need for them to communicate.

The XW SCC is a very disappointing Charge Controller. Some Installers like it because is a Dumb Box, not many options or config settings. These installers may have or believe that they have very DIM coustomers who will become befuddled by configurability and features in a CC ... oopppsssssss Editorail Comment.

Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No problems at all with over 30 of them from the desert to Alaska. The firmware has not needed any up date for over 3 years. Easy to network reasonably priced. Plug and play without having to be a nerd! Yes I own their stock.:cool:

Are they perfect? Not yet!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Vic

Dave, RE the main BUG that I found with the XW SCC was that it proudly reported that it was Asorbing, when it really was less than half finished with Bulk. This BUG may have been introduced later than any of the SCCs that you have dealt with. Altho, with 30-ish in your scope, would bet at least some have this FEATURE.

To be redundant, X had "not heard of this", and was unable to reproduce it on the system that they had in Tech.

My SCC was "Build 4". one X Tech Hot-Shot stated that this BUG was a Xantrex INNOVATION !!"!!

Turns out that the SCC thinks that it is in Asorb when it reaches the FLOAT voltage. Innovative ! Redefining basic battery charging terminology.

Perhaps some folks just hook up the SCC, and never watch it to see if it can be trusted alone with valuable batteries, I am not one.

Couple of other items on the plus side of the SCC, it IS FCC Class B certified, and it uses no fan.

On the other side, the SCC LACKS the Aux function: "Aux output active on CC Float" THis is very useful for off-gridders, and almost all of the top-tier MPPT CCs include a four-line LCD Display, the SCC has only two lines. This is too little info displayed, and one must either WAIT and wait for it to scroll through its screens, or the user needs to press buttons multiple times.

From my experience, if one cares about their batteries, watching a new CC while charting batteries IS important, andfield-updatable FW is important, when it only requires hardware that the typical customer has on hand and uses for other things -- A Computer! Just my experience and opinions.
    good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Dave Angelini

I like to keep this positive ! I get it you do not like them Vic. I offered to update your firmware for a 6 pack of beer. It is here in the forum BTW. Your opinion is your own and I respect that! I have had to send a bad unit back at installation and maybe you should have also. Once they are properly installed, they are a very solid perfomer and meet their specifications.

There are plenty of things that I would like a CC to do on my wish list. This unit has satisfied my number one requirement of being easy to understand for my customers and interface with the worlds best Offgrid inverter/charger.

Build a better one!

• XWGuy
    XWGuy Registered Users Posts: 15

Vic,

The last firmware update for the MPPT60-150 product was released in May of 2009 (two years ago). We haven't touched it since and we don't have any reported issues. The charge algorithm was corrected at that time to follow the expected Bulk/Abs/Float charge cycle. I know the CAN to USB dongle doesn't work for you so I won't try to convince you otherwise.

Jeff
  • Vic

Hi Jeff,

I AM glad to hear that the new FW for the SCC has corrected this issue, and that there have been no other reasons to update the FW.

Perhaps I should rent the implanter tool thingie. I must be dumb, as it never occurred to me to just return the CC as DEFECTIVE to N AZ W&S, and either spec that the replacement be BUG-FREE, or simply ask for a credit and move on.

Did not appreciate that this would just be a continuing nit to pick.

Altho, having run a hardware/software company, would not ever force a customer into this box.

A few customers can be unrealistic and expect too much, but think that my expectations were/are not beyond the pale.

I could use this CC, and wanted to do an A vs B emission comparison in my system, and having a CC with no fan would be a plus as well. But, the MN Classic 150 has taken the SCC's spot on the wall.

OH well, too much BW on this topic. Thanks, Have Fun, Vic
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I just built my system and the xantrex works perfect so far.I learned 90 percent plus from this site and everything's working much better than expected.The MPPT60-150 is very well made , runs cool with no fan to worry about.This is my first post so please excuse my attempt at replying. good luck with your project.
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking at purchasing a Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC. Would like to hear about the good, bad, or ugly on them from anyone that has one or has extensive knowledge on them.
    I have installed two of them for neighbors just after they came out. Have had no problems with them in off-grid applications.
  • snuffy
    snuffy Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the input everybody.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018 #13
    So...
    I've been offered to buy up what's left of a solar installation quickly, like I might already own it by the time I get a replay!

It has a no name 1 axis tracker, with a small 8 panel frame, guessing it was for 150-200 watt panels. (I've only seen pictures, property was bought on last years tax sale and the new owner is prepping for sale) An Outback 8 string combiner box and a XANTREX 60-150 and any wiring and some other 'breaker box (un pictured hoping for a E-Panel...lol) 

So is the Xantrex the same as a Conext 60 - 150? or the same but with more communication links for the  Conext system? I suspect @Dave Angelini would know... Might be able to ID the tracker too.

Guess I should look for a version 6 or higher firmware?

It's cheap enough I'll travel for the combiner box, and wiring. and likely the Charge controller, it's a bit ugly, he says it was working before he sold the panels and scarped the batteries. Likely $150 for the wiring, breakers, combiner and charge controller. He figures the Tracker is a pot of gold, couldn't give me a Brand, but it's set in concrete, looks to be a 4 or 6" pipe, can I just pull the whole unit and place in a new pipe? What's the value of this? He seems to highly value it wants $350, but getting close to crunch time.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    They are the same CC and unless it is a 2006 manufacturing date the firmware is fine. They have added a few revisions but for offgrid the firmware does not need to be changed.

I can't tell from the pix if it is 4 or 6 inch and the pix does not show the motor that would help me ID it. I would guess homebrew as it does not look like a commercial unit. Good Luck!