What the best cooker for solar panels?

Mike_Venus
Mike_Venus Registered Users Posts: 4
What should I choose for cooking by electricity from solar panels? What is the most effective?
I think that it can be an induction cooker or a pressure cooker. I suppose that the pressure cooker is better, but I have no experience in owning of this cookers. I don't know the power consumption of this things.
I use only a cast iron cooker in city. For calculating the power of PV system I should choose the type of cooker.
Also I want to know, is the microwave heater good for solar panels to heating the food, what is the best boiler for solar panels? What voltage and type of current should I use for heating or boiling?
Please, share your experience

Comments

• jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    You might also investigate a "thermal cooker" (an insulated pot that uses retained heat).  Or propane.

In general, the most efficient device will be the one that releases the least amount of heat into the air.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    If you insist on using cooking appliances then you need at least a 24v system.

I'm just going to use propane for cooking. Using electrical solar power for routine cooking doesn't make any sense to me.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Use both propane and electricity. It gives you a back-up offgrid.

In the depth of winter we tend to use propane or shift the electric load to daylight hours. We use an electric dryer and a propane one when the sun is not going to keep the battery from cycling. Electric ovens and hot water save on propane. The choice really is determined offgrid by how much you want to cycle the battery and if you have enough solar to save on propane.

Induction cooking is similar to gas in that it responds quickly to temperature changes like gas does.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use an induction cook top and it works well, I also have an instantpot, but haven't used it much. There are some cooktop pressure cookers you could use in conjunction with the induction cooktop, but most are aluminum. Fagor makes some magnetic stainless steel ones.

I've been cooking with solar electric for many years. Consider other appliances. 

A Forman grill works well and quickly with heating elements against the grills and top and bottom cooking. Small ones run about 770 watts and cook fast, 4-5 minutes to heat up, then 2 pork sirloin steaks or burgers in about 4 minutes, chicken tenders about the same, chicken breasts in about 7 minutes. I don't like to put meats with bones in it, it has a non-stick surface. I'll regularly cook a 3 pound back of chicken breasts or tenders, at one a time in about 40 minutes and save to heat up in the microwave. Because of the design it doesn't dry out food like an open grill.

Rice cookers work great and are low wattage, 200-350 watts. You can cook other things in them as well! Look for recipes on line.

Slow cookers use 150 - 300watts and are thermostatically controlled so not on all the time, low and slow, just like solar produces energy!

Bread machines also work well, 440 - 800 watts. also thermostatically controlled and uses most of the energy when baking, so if you start them in the morning and set for them to be done just before you come home from work they are awesome!

I also like to use a Pizzazz pizza oven, it will use about 1300 watts with both top and bottom going so not very efficient, but not awful.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited September 2018 #6
    Costco has a new upsized toaster oven from I think cuisinart. It has a double door and 1300 watts. Pretty big compared to the older ones and at $130 it is reasonable.

The InstantPot is nice in that like any pressure cooker, you can prepare a meal in the morning, wrap it is a towel and serve hot food in the evening. Use the electricity when the sun is out ;)

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The InstantPot is nice in that like any pressure cooker, you can prepare a meal in the morning, wrap it is a towel and serve hot food in the evening. Use the electricity when the sun is out ;)
    I guess you  are talking about electric pressure cookers? Still a lot of stove top pressure cookers out there....

I think some do have a warm or keep warm setting after, but food should be cooked when introduced to the pressure cooker, not left to warm before cooking in the afternoon, at least any with food that needs refrigeration. In that case, I'd just use a crockpot...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    We did this on the boat, cook the food under pressure (English sailing school) and as long as it is pressurized it is safe. It will lose pressure after an hour. We are talking about 5 hours or so of sitting in a towel. 

Yes the electric InstantPot from Costco. It is a multipurpose machine. Still have a 30+ year old Presto pressure cooker for the gas cooktop.

I am going to take a look at your Pizazz. Thx!