One panel for high voltage DC grid tie and 48v off grid

oil pan 4
oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
I was looking at getting some used 96 cell panels for cheap.
For my first solar install I wanted to do a sunny boy SPS. The input volts and multiple inputs on the sunny boy allows for you to serries up almost any number of cell panels and get useable grid tie power going.
But would they be appropriate for a 48v radian or schnider?
In local sun they make about 60 OCV which is close to what those charge controllers can take.
Or should I get another standalone charge controller?

I may use the panels for a 48v off grid system later. I would like to buy panels that have the possibility to do grid or 48v.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

Comments

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018 #2
    oil pan 4 said:
    I was looking at getting some used 96 cell panels for cheap.
    For my first solar install I wanted to do a sunny boy SPS. The input volts and multiple inputs on the sunny boy allows for you to serries up almost any number of cell panels and get useable grid tie power going.
    But would they be appropriate for a 48v radian or schnider?
    In local sun they make about 60 OCV which is close to what those charge controllers can take.
    Or should I get another standalone charge controller?

I may use the panels for a 48v off grid system later. I would like to buy panels that have the possibility to do grid tie later on.
    Well, it's nuts not to get an MPPT controller - and those take significantly higher voltages. 2S connections would give you a 96 volt Vmpp which would work fine with any 150 volt rated controller (which is most of them.)

The Radian is an inverter, not a charge controller BTW.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider a 600V charge controller  https://www.solar-electric.com/xaxwmp80amp6.html
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    60V panels are not enough to charge a 48V bank, which can require up to 64v at times for battery maintenance.  You would need 2 in series to operate a MPPT controller to charge the batteries
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• oil pan 4
    edited September 2018 #5
    I didn't realize they went so high now.
    The 600v cc is pretty cool.
    I occasionally see kind of odd 120+ cell panels from time to time they are really big, 400 watts or more, about 4x7 feet, they run around 90 ocv and they are cheap.

On the outback radian 4048 my interpretation was that solar panels can be connected directly to it and it makes grid tie power. I saw the specification for "battery charging" and thought that means with the solar panels.
    Or am I all wrong?
    Meaning "battery charging" on the unit it's self refers to external AC power battery charging only?
    And that if you want to charge the batteries on your hybrid inverter you better get a seperate charge controller?
    If so it's not a big deal because already I figured I would need seperate charge controllers any how, I would just be buying one more than what I thought I needed if that is the case.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    oil pan 4 said:
    I didn't realize they went so high now.
    The 600v cc is pretty cool.
    I occasionally see kind of odd 120+ cell panels from time to time they are really big, 400 watts or more, about 4x7 feet, they run around 90 ocv and they are cheap.

On the outback radian 4048 my interpretation was that solar panels can be connected directly to it and it makes grid tie power. I saw the specification for "battery charging" and thought that means with the solar panels.
    Or am I all wrong?
    Meaning "battery charging" on the unit it's self refers to external AC power battery charging only?
    And that if you want to charge the batteries on your hybrid inverter you better get a seperate charge controller?
    If so it's not a big deal because already I figured I would need seperate charge controllers any how, I would just be buying one more than what I thought I needed if that is the case.
    600V charge controllers are cool, but expensive.

The Radian is a battery based hybrid inverter.  If you want to use solar with it you need a separate charge controller (which Outback also makes.)  If you want a single device that does both, you'd need something like an Outback Skybox (not available yet) or a StorEdge system (complex.)
  • oil pan 4
    Oh that's quite alright, with all the charge controllers I hear about get hit by lightning I kind of prefer a seperate CC.