Got the land, need a solar 600 ft well solution

Mountain_Matt
Mountain_Matt Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
We just bought a 40 acre parcel in southern Wyoming. Got a nice south facing slope to build on. Now the well estimate is 16k to go 540' deep.
Any recommendations on the pump, and solar setup etc?
Tagged:

Comments

• Mountain_Matt
    Appreciate your input very much!
  • geosierranevada
    geosierranevada Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
    That is not a bad price for 540 ft well, i paid 17,000 for 300 ft and got a 30 gpm well. How will you store water? We have a 5000 gal tank, so i went with a sqflex 3 - 2    3 gpm pump  we use it on solar and during summer we pump about 1700 gal per day.
    Have a nice day   George
    Off grid for 20 years. 5KW panels, Trace sw4024, Bergy XL1 wind generator, 3 EG4 Lifep04 200amphr batteries  3 SQF 2 well pump, 12kw back up gen.  Not easy living in the wilderness but it keeps you busy
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will you be off-grid?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Mountain_Matt
    > @Estragon said:
    > Will you be off-grid?

Yes
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In that case, I'd be inclined to look at a system (the sqflex pumps mentioned by @geosierranevada seem to be well regarded) that pumps directly with pv power to an at/above grade storage tank using available solar when and to the extent available. From the tank, water would be pressurized with gravity and/or a smaller pressure pump running on demand from batteries when required.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Mountain_Matt
    That is what I was thinking. Thanks 😁
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    It's highly variable, but $30/ft sounds a bit high to me.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Mountain_Matt
    > @geosierranevada said:
    > That is not a bad price for 540 ft well, i paid 17,000 for 300 ft and got a 30 gpm well. How will you store water? We have a 5000 gal tank, so i went with a sqflex 3 - 2    3 gpm pump  we use it on solar and during summer we pump about 1700 gal per day.
    > Have a nice day   George

How long have you been running the SQFlex George?
    I've seen some unsatisfied comments recently on this forum.
    I'm thinking about the Franklin Photon Solar Pak.
  • geosierranevada
    geosierranevada Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
    I have 2 wells and have been running SQFlex for about 12 years. The only problem with the 12 year old pump was the low water cut off 
    , which allowed the pump to keep running in my low recovery well. I caught it in time and now run that well on a timer ( AC power ). I get about 200 gal per day out of that well and it supplies water to our home.  I had a new well drilled last year for irrigation and back up for my low recovery well which is 42 years old and always low or slow recovery. My new well was quite pricy because everybody in California are drilling wells. The well driller used a witch ( special twig ) to locate water (  we live in Southern Sierra Nevada ) and he told me before doing so that he would not drill unless he found water with his witch. 300 ft well 270 ft thru granite, hit water at 40 ft, i set pump at 250 ft.

Good luck with every thing at your property.    George
    Off grid for 20 years. 5KW panels, Trace sw4024, Bergy XL1 wind generator, 3 EG4 Lifep04 200amphr batteries  3 SQF 2 well pump, 12kw back up gen.  Not easy living in the wilderness but it keeps you busy
  • Mountain_Matt
    Thanks George.
    I think the complaints I saw strong with newer versions. But who knows...
    God bless brother! Appreciate your help.