Installing pole mounted brackets, but can’t find 2 inch pipe!?

solarcory
solarcory Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭
Ok so I bought two adjustable angle mounting brackets for my panels off EBay. These use a 2 inch inside diameter pipe. At my local hardware stores all I can find is 1.5, 1.6, 2.15 inch pipe but no 2 inch.

Can anyone recommend a easier way to find 10 ft piping to cement into the ground and mount my brackets/panels on?

Thanks
Cory

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Try an electrical wholesaler, ask for ridged emt, 1 1/2" outside diameter is 1.9" https://steeltubeinstitute.org/steel-conduit/types-of-steel-conduit/rigid-metal-conduit-rmc/
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those appear to be satellite dish brackets. The tubing/pipe they use is a very thin wall material. Are you looking for 2" OUTSIDE diameter?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• solarcory
    Mcgivor- thank you I’ll look into that.

Littleharbor2- yes, definitely looking for 2 inch OD piping.
  • jmb
    jmb Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Home Depot has 2" Sch 40 pipe...
    Justin B.
    Cabin - 9 Mission Solar 310 watt panels, MidNite Solar Combiner, Iron Ridge mounting, 4 Speciaized Power 200 AH 24V LiFePO4 batteries, Samlex PST-1500-24 inverter, MidNite Solar Classic 200SL CC

Barn - 9 Renogy 100W panels, Generic Chinese 40A MPPT CC, 6 Universal 12V 100 AH AGM batteries, Reliable 3KW 12V PSW inverter

• solarcory
    Ok! 
    So Ive spent a lot of time at Home Depot and Lowes looking for a 2 inch pipe and am still not having much luck. 
    Ive brought my bracket with me into these hardware stores and am testing it on multiple pipes, and even when ratcheting the bolts down, the bracket bottoms out on the bolts before its tightened to the pole. 

Ive looked at fence poles, and found a 1-7/8 inch pipe that fits somewhat loosely but tighter than other pipes. 
    Ive looked at rigid electrical conduits and found a 1-1/2 inch pipe that is close to a 2 inch OD. 
    Ive even looked at plumbing piping and they are similar to the pipes above. 

Now, the bracket I have, I quickly measured it with a measuring tape, I wonder if I have a 2.15 or 2.20 inch inch ID mount on this pole bracket. 
  • solarcory
    Im getting pretty close to just getting the closest size pipe I can find and then welding some bands where the clamp attaches to make the pipe diameter larger and then cementing the pipe in the ground. 
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018 #9
    Looks like chain link fence pipe comes in 2" OD up to 10 feet long at 40 WT. Not sure if this is strong enough.
    Call to verify actual OD.
    https://fence-material.com/galvanized-pipe-2-od-40-wt-chain-link-pipe-fence-pipe/

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • jmb
    jmb Registered Users Posts: 42 ✭✭
    solarcory said:
    Ok! 
    So Ive spent a lot of time at Home Depot and Lowes looking for a 2 inch pipe and am still not having much luck.
    Sorry, my bad.  They have the 1.5" which has an OD of 1.9"...
    Justin B.
    Cabin - 9 Mission Solar 310 watt panels, MidNite Solar Combiner, Iron Ridge mounting, 4 Speciaized Power 200 AH 24V LiFePO4 batteries, Samlex PST-1500-24 inverter, MidNite Solar Classic 200SL CC

Barn - 9 Renogy 100W panels, Generic Chinese 40A MPPT CC, 6 Universal 12V 100 AH AGM batteries, Reliable 3KW 12V PSW inverter

• Thick8
    Thick8 Registered Users Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited September 2018 #11
    I used a chain link corner posts filled with concrete. I was told here that it was a bad idea. Had 45 mph sustained winds with gusts or 60 mph most of last night. The worst issue is a couple of leaves need to be removed. 

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Just spent $80 for 10' of 2" galvanized pipe at a large electrical distributor (CED or QED in Denver). It is very heavy duty pipe, I'd estimate the thickness at close to 3/16". Weight might be close to 45 pounds. This would be ideal pipe for a solar array. Few events would effect this pipe and it is made for outdoor duty. Minimum length was 10' at CED.

Had to replace the "electrical service line" on the roof after I successfully dropped a tree limb on it. Note when doing chainsaw work - do not underestimate the leverage of a dropping limb. Even if thin at point of impact, the limb is connected to a lot of weight traveling at a surprisingly high speed.

If one ever has to replace the electrical service lines, be of good cheer. It is about as difficult as tying shoelaces. A challenge may present in connecting the lines due to necessary tautness. Also in making 2/0 fit into tight spaces. Homeowner owns this section of the electrical service. Your utility company will be happy to tell you this.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    Good stuff but not inexpensive: https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0700025
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    FWIW, just measured the original electrical service pole and the replacement pole thickness. The original pole is .10" thick - 1/10". The new pole is ~.15" thick ~1/6.7" - 50% thicker than the original. Apparently 2" electrical conduit can vary significantly in common sizes.