Questions about running Wiring to pump-house for 24V DC water pump and 110V AC in same conduit

westbranch
westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
I finally got my ~80 foot  trench dug last week  to go and the #2 AL wire is ready to be cut off the spool,  to length. 
The 2" PVC conduit is 80 feet to the well. The well is 10 feet deep.
The rep in the supply house suggested it might be good to try to 'twist the 2 wires as they are DC carriers, but I think this might be a futile exercise due to being #2AWG over 80 feet...
I  also want to have a 110V AC line in the same conduit if possible. Ac will be used in the small pump-house for lights and small tools.
I have 225 feet of 8 gauge wire salvaged from replacing a water pump at our in town house tha I will use....
I have searched and cannot find any reasons that mixing  DC and is no AC carriers is not acceptable. Have also tried using some of the Conduit fill apps and it looks like I may have excess space.

Are there any issues I am missing to negate running 2 different voltages in one conduit?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
West Chilcotin, BC, Canada

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would run my AC with type UF direct burial. You can buy a 250 foot spool of it cheap at Home Depot. Too many reasons not to mix AC and DC in the same conduit. 

Reasons not too, Lightning, damaged insulation from the pull, Code, Jethro on the Beverly Hillbillies did this......
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

wb,

I am not a code maven.  But,   for the voltages that you have noted,   it IS permitted in the NEC to run AC and DC in the same conduit,   IF  all conductors have an insulation rating at least equal to or greater than the voltage applied to any of the conductors in that conduit.

This is often said,   as  the insulation rating on all of the conductors must have the same,   or voltage rating voltage rating,   or similar.

It is covered in NEC 300.3 (C)(1).   Think that Canada uses NEC  as the standard of practice ...

FWIW,   Good luck,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Well the well (pump) wire is TWU FT1 says Submersible on it and the chart states:
    For open wiring where exposed to the weather, and for service entrance below ground. Approved for direct burial. Maximum conductor temperature of 60° C in wet or dry locations, for circuits not exceeding 600 volts.

so it appears that I am OK with just laying it in the trench beside the conduit... but wouldn't that have almost the same effect  as being in the same conduit and starting from  the house and ending in the pump-house?

I have some thin wall 3/4 inch black water pipe for a little extra protection I think I might use.. I'll also get a bit more separation underground  vs  laid in the same pipe

Thanks for the comments...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The Marine code use to permit combining AC and DC. People in marinas would pick-up surges from lightning and utility surges. The loss of the DC system caused unattended boats to sink from loss of bilge pumps. This was in the 1980's.

It is a pain to also pull those size wires in the same 2" conduit. It hurts just thinking about it... Good Luck Eric!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Running different class systems in the same raceway is not permitted without a barrier to separate the two, but the question is what class is a battery source. The CEC (Canadian Electrical Code ) is sometimes difficult to decipher with its 50 shades of grey ( areas), the one factor, without quoting rules, is there would be an induced signal in the DC due to being in close proximity to an AC source, for this reason keeping then seperate is probably a wise decision, if not by distance then by shielding one in a metallic raceway or other method.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Where I work they won't run a DC motor and AC lighting power in the same conduit. The plant electrician said it is against code.
    And that's good enough for me.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.