Flexible Solar: Junk vs. High Quality?

I've heard some bad things about flexible panels - one RV guy I know said he had 3 of them that almost caught his van on fire.  He trashed them.  However, those were "no name" brand panels.

Our hosts now sell a 100W flexible panel: https://www.solar-electric.com/sunpower-flexible-solar-panel-100-watt-monocrystalline.html

It's made by SunPower - a name I trust as I have 5KW of their (non flexible) panels on my house.

Any experiences pro or con with the SunPower SPR-E-Flex line?

Comments

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few different types of flexible panels. These I would call semi flexible. They are in my opinion better than the Unisolar thinfilm type panels that came in a roll with adhesive on the back. Flexible panels aren't known to last as long as rigid panels. I think your best bet would be to mount these where they won't get any physical contact or other type of abuse and be done.. Keep in mind there wont be any airflow under the cells so they might run warmer than conventional panels mounted with an air space under them. 

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.