Schneider Combox installation triggers virus warnings

Dusty
Dusty Solar Expert Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with Windows Defender anti-virus.

I connected the combox to my network via RJ45 (have not connected Xanbus), powered it up and started the installation using the quick start guide.  After it went through it's power up routine, I installed the included USB thumb drive to download the IP address.

As soon as I installed the thumb drive in my computer, Defender warned me of the following viruses:

Worm:Win32/Conficker.B!inf (severe)
Backdoor:Win32/Hupigon.DF (severe)
Worm:Win32/Conficker.B (severe)

These were only on the thumb drive, not on my computer.  As a result, My system will not communicate with the combox.

Has this happened to anyone else?
XW6048, 3.4KW PV, Grid-Tied, always tweaking.

Comments

• Dusty
    edited August 2018 #2
    I just got off the phone with Schneider tech support, and they confirmed that the USB thumb drives shipped out with the combox are infected. Whomever formatted the thumb drives before packing them had an infected computer, so all the thumb drives were infected too. 

They received an internal memo stating the problem a day or two ago.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018 #3
    Bummer.  But you can download the Combox Locator sw from the web
    go to the DOWNLOADS tab and under FIRMWARE is
    Conext ComBox Device Locator Software

That's all you need to use the combox, the java script finds the IP address of the combox and you click on it and your browser should open the address and you go to the login screen of the combox itself.   if it's a private network, you can leave the password as defaults and SKIP past changing it.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm not all that comforted by being able to download directly from an outfit that shipped USBs with nasty stuff. I know stuff happens, but geez.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dusty
    edited August 2018 #5
    Thanks @mike95490. I'll check out those links.

I've been working with Schneider tech support for a few days now, because my combox keeps hanging during the installation.  I couldn't even get to where you change the date and time before it would hang.  We tried different network cables (cat6 and cat7), 3 different browsers, different computers, even different routers with no other devices connected, and the combox still kept hanging up.  It just says "Loading in progress, your patience is appreciated" in the middle of the browser screen and never clears. It's still on the screen, even after more than 30 minutes.

Finally, tech support gave up and set up an RMA.  In the meantime, I purchased another combox since I didn't know how long it would take to get the replacement. 

Well, that new one is doing the same thing.  And although that screams to me that it's a local setup issue, I replaced all the hardware here when troubleshooting the first combox with tech support.  The only thing both computers had in common was the virus alert when I plugged in their USB thumb drive.  I thoroughly scanned both computers, but those viruses weren't detected on the machines, so I'm pretty confident that the USB drive files were isolated by my anti-virus software before they could infect my computers.  I thought that maybe there was a firewall issue, but even after disabling the firewall, the problem remains.

Still, something is messing with the combox's communication with my browsers.  I pinged the combox from the router, and it looks good--2.11ms latency with no errors. Xanbus was never connected, since the quick start manual said not to connect xanbus until after the date and time were set on the combox, and we never got that far.  The router shows that the Combox connection is active.

Then, just for grins, I installed the Combox Android App on my tablet, and it detected the combox with no problems!  No problem changing the date and time.  No delay. I shut the combox down, hooked up Xanbus and powered it back up. It's communicating fine with my MPPT 60/150 and the XW6048 with the android app via wireless.  Just not via browser (I tried Edge, Google Chrome and Firefox) from a computer hard wired to the network. 

So I have to figure out why the hard wired computers are having trouble.  There must be a router setting impacting the hard wire connection that doesn't affect the wireless side.  But two different routers had the same problem, and the combox is hard-wired to it (although it's a 100Mbit connection from the combox to the router, whereas the rest of my computers are connected to the router via Gigabit connections).

• Dusty
    I guess I spoke too soon, because when I pull up the Grid Output page on the Android App, I'm getting a recurring error that pops up almost too quickly to read, but it says "Lost Connection. The connection to the Conext Combox has been lost.  Return to combox selection screen"

• mike95490
    You should use about a 20' cable between the inverter and the combox.
    There has to be a termination plug, plugged into the 2nd xanbus port on BOTH the inverter and combox.
    like:
    term--combox --  -- 20-- foot-- cable--  inverter--term

If the cable is too short, or either of the 2 required terminations missing, there will be errors on the Xanbus, and then the combox will never have good date to send to it's ethernet port.

You do have the ethernet and xanbus ports connected correctly at the combx
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• Dusty
    edited August 2018 #8
    mike95490 said:
    You should use about a 20' cable between the inverter and the combox.
    There has to be a termination plug, plugged into the 2nd xanbus port on BOTH the inverter and combox.
    like:
    term--combox --  -- 20-- foot-- cable--  inverter--term

If the cable is too short, or either of the 2 required terminations missing, there will be errors on the Xanbus, and then the combox will never have good date to send to it's ethernet port.

You do have the ethernet and xanbus ports connected correctly at the combx
    Thanks @mike95490 . I have a 50' Cat 6 cable between the SCP and the inverter, and the combox is plugged into the SCP with a 12' cat 7 cable.  The MPPT controller's xanbus cable is plugged into the inverter, and the terminators are plugged into the combox at one end, and the MPPT 60/150 at the other end.  Terminator--MPPT SCC--->Inverter--->SCP--->combox---terminator.  I do not have the xanbus and ethernet ports in the combox mixed up. (but I know you had to ask anyway!) :-)

My original problem was on the Ethernet side, not the xanbus side, because I hadn't even gotten to the step where I plug in the Xanbus cable from the combox to the SCP.  I was following the quick start guide to the letter, and it said not to connect the xanbus cable before configuring the date and time on the combox. 

But once I got the Android App to let me change the date and time, I was able to connect the Xanbus cable.  But I'm still having constant ethernet and intermittent wireless disconnect issues--but the wireless seems much more stable.

With the browser (Google Chrome this time) highlighted on "system performance" (the "loading in progress, your patience is appreciated" message never goes away, but after several minutes, some information starts to be displayed on the screen behind it--10 minutes so far, and I only see the battery icon!),  I start to see the icons for battery, loads, grid, etc.. But the actual numbers being displayed for what is being pulled from the grid are totally wrong according to my SCP.  I'm currently pulling 783 from the grid, 765 is going to loads, nothing to battery, and nothing yet from solar (still in bulk charge, and PV is only putting out 66W at 0730am.)  But the browser says I'm only pulling 283 from the grid.  I'm beginning to think that all I"m seeing is a demo number from grid to loads.  What the Android app displays matches the SCP so I know it's valid data, but what the browser is showing is out to lunch.

At the bottom left corner of the Chrome browser, the status keeps switching between "connecting..." to "waiting for 192.168.1.249..."  But at the same time I'm seeing this, I "ping'd" the combox from my router using Firefox 100 times with no errors and only 1.85ms latency.  But I get the same delays with Firefox if I try to access the combox menu.

• MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow that's crazy Dusty.  I do not have words.  It sounds like you are doing everything correctly and have a really good handle on networking.  I have not every experienced what you are seeing with my combox. 
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • Dusty
    MrM1 said:
    Wow that's crazy Dusty.  I do not have words.  It sounds like you are doing everything correctly and have a really good handle on networking.  I have not every experienced what you are seeing with my combox. 

I'm on to something now.  When I tested two different computers (and 4 different browsers), both computers were Windows 10 Pro 64-bit versions, since that's all I've got in my systems....EXCEPT for one old Toshiba laptop in my closet that still has Windows XP.

I fired that puppy up, and it immediately logged in and displayed the Combox information!  No disconnects, no sluggishness.  Just how I expected the combox to respond.

So it's something to do with my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit systems.  Even with me disabling the firewalls on those systems, it didn't help. But since an old XP system works flawlessly (which explains why my pings from the router to the combox didn't show any problems), it's got to be something with the Windows 10 OS, since that's the only thing common to the two computers that can't display the combox info (and also explains why the Android app works fine too.)

But I can't be the only person accessing the combox via a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit computer.  I'm using Windows Defender anti-virus, so no exotic anti-virus software. 

But this is a good lead, and I'll share this with Schneider tech support today.
  • MrM1
    edited August 2018 #11
    Disable your anti-virus.  I just remembered,  on my 64 bit win 10 laptop the combox will not run unless i turn the antivirus off.  I was using Avast I think.  (I dont use that lap top at home very often that is why I did not remember).   With Avast AV on the combox was super sluggish and did not want to do anything.  I would change computers in the same room to another pc running 64 bit win 10 pro and windows defender and it works fine. 

So I would start by disabling all antivirus and go from there.  I did not have a problem with firewall issues. 
    REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • MrM1
    Also,  you mentioned using an Android app.  Does Schneider have an Android app for the combox?  I cant find it.  I have always just just the chrome browser when on a tablet or phone to access the combox at home. 
  • MrM1
    I found it.  I searched for it on my phone,  and apparently it is not compatible with my phone,  but a pc search pulled it right up.  It will work on the tablet but not on the phone. 
  • Dusty
    But I am using defender!  I'm not going to run a computer without anti-virus just to make the combox happy. I can't believe that everyone else is doing that.  But just to test it, I turned off Defender and it is still just as sluggish.  I turned off real time protection, as well as cloud-delivered protection.  No change.  Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't seem to be the anti-virus.
  • Dusty
    MrM1 said:
    Also,  you mentioned using an Android app.  Does Schneider have an Android app for the combox?  I cant find it.  I have always just just the chrome browser when on a tablet or phone to access the combox at home. 
    Yes, there's an android app, but not an IOS app, so I can't use it with my phone.

• Dusty
    Sorry, I just noticed that you said you found it.
  • MrM1
    Thanks.  Yes I do not recommend running a computer without antivirus,  only to test.  Sorry it did not work for you.  But as you have noted,  it has to be something. 

As to the app.  I dont like it.  I will stick with the web browser.  Perhaps it's just because I know the browser version so well,  but I do not like the flow of the app.  Setting for the SW are buried way to deep,  and I have yet to find the setting for AC support mode,  I only see a setting for Load Shaving. 
  • MrM1
    Opps,  there is AC Support settings ... under AC Limits.  Odd.  And load Shaving is under Gen Support??  The web browser is more intuitive IMHO and lines up with the manual.    The app menus will not line up with the SCP menus (or the manual description of menus)
  • Dusty
    I hope to get my computer working soon.  Right now, the app and my vulnerable Windows XP machine are all I have running the combox reliably.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You can download the device discover tool from the combox section at Schneider. That way you do not have to trust a thumb drive. 

Here is a link to it, but I would not trust my link with all the problems you are having  ;)

https://41j5tc3akbrn3uezx5av0jj1bgm-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Conext-ComBox-Device-Locator-Software.zip
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Dusty
    Dave, thanks, but I don't need the discover tool.  I know what IP address the router is assigning it.  Finding it is no problem.  It's after I try to log in that it won't respond.  But the combox works fine through my network logging on with my Windows XP laptop and my Android tablet.  There's something going on with my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit machines--even though I can ping the combox from the router all day long with no latency and no disconnects using those same machines.  But when I try to log in via Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Internet Explorer with a Win 10 Pro computer, the combox hangs up.
  • Estragon
    I wonder if Win10pro has a range of ports, (including one or more used by the combox) locked down, or otherwise unavailable to the combox. This would be independent of anti-virus settings.

The initial request from browser to combox would be 192.168.1.xxx:yy with yy likely port 443 for https. To complete the connection, they have to agree on a second port from a range for the return half of the connection. I'm wondering if the combox wants a port number that's refused by your version of windows. Just a W.A.G.

You could try something like wireshark to peek under the hood of the connection failure to see if that's an issue (or it may turn up something else as a cause).
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dusty
    I don't know @Estragon. It seems like the Combox uses port 80, which is permitted by my router.  I turned off Windows Defender anti-virus, but it still didn't work.  I was hoping that Schneider tech support would have an idea, since Win10Pro is a pretty common operating system by now.
    I've never heard of wireshark, so I'll have to look into that.  I can see the IP and MAC address of the combox on my router, but I agree with you; something strange is going on under the hood.  Thanks for the recommendation.
  • Estragon
    Port 80 is plain http. I don't know, but I imagine it switches to 443 for https or something so unencypted login data isn't sent cleartext. I'm not familiar with the pro version of Win10, but it may do stuff or have settings for networking other versions don't, so may not be a commonly seen issue for Schneider.

Wireshark is a packet sniffer program that can show you the client/server messaging... sometimes useful for diagnosing problems like this :smile:
    Off-grid.  
  • mike95490
    You can use a plain browser on a phone or tablet, and just stuff the proper IP address into it.   Tablet is easier to read and manipulate.

• Dusty
    mike95490 said:
    You can use a plain browser on a phone or tablet, and just stuff the proper IP address into it.   Tablet is easier to read and manipulate.
    I'm using the Android app on a tablet, and that is working fine.  So is a Windows XP laptop. But since Schneider says the combox is compatible with Windows 7 and above, I'm hoping they can help me figure out why it isn't working with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.  I just thought someone on this forum might have already gone through this process, so I wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel.

• Dave Angelini
    What process Dusty?  My win 10 and 2 dozen + that I know work fine. I do not have Pro but I can't imagine it not working.
    There is always a clean install of windows.....

• Dusty
    What process Dusty?  My win 10 and 2 dozen + that I know work fine. I do not have Pro but I can't imagine it not working.
    There is always a clean install of windows.....
    Not since I have two totally different windows 10 pro 64-bit machines doing the same thing.  I'm getting ready to try a third Windows 10 Pro machine though. If you do not have Pro there might be a difference than what you're using. I don't know what the difference might be, but a clean install of windows would only make sense if only one of my computers has the problem.
  • Dusty
    And a third Windows 10 Pro 64-bit computer is doing the same thing.  Takes forever to even get to the login screen, and then hangs with "Loading in progress, your patience is appreciated."  Android tablet and Windows XP computers log on fine with no delay. I've tried different routers, different cables, different computers, and even different comboxes..the only thing in common is that each computer having trouble communicating with either of the comboxes is running windows 10 pro 64-bit.
  • MrM1
    @Dusty,  I hear what you are saying, and I can't imagine the frustration after 3 machines and calls to Schneider Tech,  but I am using Win 10 Pro 64 bit with no problem on 2 pcs

• Dave Angelini
    edited August 2018 #31
    I should have also said that most of the engineers at Schneider in Burnaby are using pro also. I just asked one to confirm.

all devices are up to current or last released firmware correct? SCP and mppts?