LG INVERTER REFRIGERATORS

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    LG has had a 22 cuft at the Sears store up here in the mountains. They still do and that is my replacement when the Maytag man wants to come visit me.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    fyi re GE compressor technology in fridges,  we have one of these in our fridge, rated at 319kWh/yr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2km_KjdPIEo

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you know if a 300w psw inverter (eg Morningstar) start the GE fridge?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    My fridge has a +- 40 amp surge.... I know my Cotek doesn't have any problems starting. never tested smaller Wattage ones

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thanks. Pretty sure the little inverter won't handle that.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • 2twisty
    2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018 #67
    The one I linked above, I can get a scratch'n'dent version for about $850. It's annual KW is listed as 464.

If I divide it out correctly, that's an average continuous consumption of about 50w.  I can handle a load like that.  I need an excuse to increase the battery bank size anyway.

• 2twisty
    2twisty Solar Expert Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    MrM1 said:

I'm looking on a phone and I can't find it. Is that an inverter fridge?
    Yes. It's very hard to find the confirmation, but it is an inverter. 
  • solarhills99
    solarhills99 Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Update on LG refrig running on 600 watt Samlex inverter.  Running fine, but this inverter needs a note.  As has been noted elsewhere the outlet on it is a GFI type.  It will trip on occasion, especially if a power strip is attached.  If your running a refrig off it and are away it could ruin a whole lot of food.  Replacing the outlet with a DECOR type standard outlet solves this problem.  You have to internally bond the outlet just as the installed GFI is.  If your Samlex seems to crap out on you it could be a defective GFI, or one that's been reset too many times.  Replace it, see if that solves the problem before going for service.
  • simmtron
    simmtron Solar Expert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    Estragon said:
    Do you know if a 300w psw inverter (eg Morningstar) start the GE fridge?
    I have a Samsung inverter fridge and the draw is never over 15O watts, There is NO startup surge, If the GE is similar to other inverter fridges 3OO watt inverter should be no problem.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Have you caught the defrost cycle yet?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Just an update.  I have been searching inverter fridges for use to replace LP fridges for an large off grid client.  It seems that the LG series is not available in the US for some reason.  (Maybe because they us butane for compressor gas?)   That said, the are available all over Canada in the big box stores and they are quite reasonable priced compared to new LP fridges.  Under $1000CDN for a 18 cu ft, linear inverter.  

What I am searching for is some real world daily consumption figures.  Clearly these will start and run fine on reasonably small inverters and battery banks assuming the batteries are healthy.

Tony
  • Dave Angelini
    Hey Tony. Not a great time right now for getting LG.... This year sucked!   Below is a model that I have used for homes. They also make a 22 cu ft that is really nice also. The US energy star specs seem to be off on the high side for what I measure and give my clients for options. The 22 LG with the linear compressor can be had for about 1.2K on sale, uses 1.3kwh. The link below for the 25 uses about 1.5 KWH per days. Both are excellent. I use the Canadian energy star numbers. Much more accurate. US is high for offgrid minded.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-25-50-cu-ft-Bottom-Freezer-Refrigerator-in-PrintProof-Stainless-Steel-with-Filtered-Ice-LRDCS2603S/312284005

I just am not seeing the linear compressor in an 18 like you want. Maybe you could get a model number from the LG US site and then search with it. 

Stay safe up there!

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave.  I am looking at the large ones, and they run~$1,500.  They would certainly be sustainable in the system I am designing, and very cost  effective compared to L/P.  Factor in fuel cost and depreciation of each, and the solar pays for itself quite quickly, even factoring battery depreciation.  

Tony
  • Dave Angelini
    It has been that for over10 years in my opinion for abandoning LP for cooling.
     Probably closer to 20 years for a home or anything with a Lady involved ;) Merry Christmas!

• 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    The inverter fridge sounds like a great idea. However, it appears that they are hard to find. A regular fridge does have a starting surge, but if my old DR 1500 can start one, something comparable in size with a conventional compressor should be able too as well. IMO any solar system running as fridge should have at least a 1500 watt inverter anyway.
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • jtdiesel65
    jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    It has been that for over10 years in my opinion for abandoning LP for cooling.
     Probably closer to 20 years for a home or anything with a Lady involved ;) Merry Christmas!
    Lol but agree completely. I ditched the propane fridge years ago.
    I have one of those bottom freezer units in the link. Seems to be 50-55 watts when running.

• petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    https://www.lg.com/nz/fridges/lg-GB-455P
    This one is great . 300 kw per year . I measure it as less in our temperate climate. 
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • Dave Angelini
    The link you gave petertearai  does not work in North America or ?  I know what you mean though about the climate. Our summer energy is much lower (heat pump cool) than winter when we have a fire at night.

Ever try measuring it over 24 hours 
    jtdiesel65 ? About 1.6 for the one in the link below. My neighbor has one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-25-50-cu-ft-Bottom-Freezer-Refrigerator-in-PrintProof-Stainless-Steel-with-Filtered-Ice-LRDCS2603S/312284005

• petertearai
    Hmm didnt work for me either , should have tested it .
    Maybe this one
      https://www.lg.com/nz/fridges/lg-GB-455PL
    However i suppose academic if not offered in your market  .

2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • petertearai
    24 hours 2 450 l lg fridges running . But no one in residence .
  • petertearai

• Dave Angelini
    Nice !  The one I linked does have a defrost blip in 24 hours. Looks like yours don't?

We could get that number way up for you. I think my better half uses the light from the refrigerator more than most ;)

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 #84
    Check on power factor for inverter refrigs.  U.S. does not have regulations on residential power factor so manufacturers can save some cost by just using a simple rectifier-filter cap giving a PF of 0.6 to 0.7.  For grid powering it is not a big deal but if running on an inverter or generator it creates more loss due to higher peak current.

I have a Samsung inverter refrig and has very poor PF.  I would not have bought it if I knew.

Europe is different story.  They require PF correction if appliance draws more then 75 watts.
  • petertearai
    Yes Dave . I've looked back through the day logs doesn't look like a defrost blip . Unless optics  can't catch it . Pretty sure the fridges are frost free.  Ie i haven't defrosted them ever . Not sure of power factor. 
  • 706jim
    706jim Solar Expert Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭
    The specs look really good. Larger than my fridge with similar power requirements. What is the price? (NZ dollars ok I have the conversion)
    Island cottage solar system with 2500 watts of panels, 1kw facing southeast 1.3kw facing southwest 170watt ancient Arco's facing south. All panels in parallel for a 24 volt system. Trace DR1524 MSW inverter, Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controller 8 Trojan L16's. Insignia 11.5 cubic foot electric fridge. My 30th year.
  • Dave Angelini
    petertearai they both are on with frozen & food in them, just nobody there? Seems a bit better than I can imagine.

The 22 cu ft LG in NA is about 1.4kwh per day in normal use.

• petertearai
    Yep both on with freezers full  and a small amount of essential supply's  .( wine )  In fridges . $ 1800   this includes our 15% gst tax .  This second one was on special .  Unfortunately i don't have my power measuring  thing here at moment . But  may try a measure with it , next year , i think it also measures power factor   . But for $ 25.00 don't know how accurate it is  .
  • Dave Angelini
    Thanks ! You guys have great wines. Got some from Costco last week!  I have to do the math on cu ft to get an idea of volume but with those numbers I would not be concerned. There is error in Optics also when the power is that low.
    Even if it was 200 watts for the two it is pretty nice. Any where near 25C in the structures or is it colder?

• petertearai
     Maximum minimum thermometer shows 15  to 25 deg C  for the last week .  Thanks for the info on optics.   So they could well be using more . I will re measure with the power meter,  from memory when i checked the first one . It measured .7 of a kw per day averaged . After a initial 24 hour  cooling down .
    My daily usage is quite a bit less than the solar input , i put this down to inverter tare and internet modem .
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    For the benifit of those who my be concerned about power factor of inverter based refrigerators, the actual battery consumption is what the unit is rated for, excluding inherent inverter losses. Power factor applies to the generating source, in the case of offgrid the DC-AC inverter, it will need to support the apparent power, for a 100W load with a PF of 0.6 it would be approximately 160W, if this is a small fraction of the systems ultimate capacity then it's generally a non issue.

Using the 100W PF 0.6 example, it would run on a 300W DC-AC  inverter, this cannot be said for a conventional refrigerator which would need to account for starting surge thus needing a larger DC-AC inverter.

The overall efficiency gains of an inverter based refrigerator in general, isn't that significant, but rather they have the ability to maintain a more consistent temperature by modulating the compressor speed, as opposed to an on off situation of a conventional refrigerator. The newer more efficient  refrigerants such as R32 and R600A along with linear compressor technology  are where the real gains are found, they can be 30% more energy efficient.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.