Mini Split update for Offgrid

123457»

Comments

• BB.BB. Posts: 27,882Super Moderators, Administrators admin
    Dave is right... Chlorine is pretty tough on some plastics/materials.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • LucManLucMan Posts: 221Solar Expert ✭✭✭
    Forget about the plastics chlorine will ruin the copper and aluminum coils. Never use chlorine  or acid based coil cleaners on a mini split. 
    There are coil cleaners available made for exactly that purpose. Nu Calgon makes several varieties in aerosol cans available for one time use. They are good for light buildup. 
    The concentrated commercial coil cleaners come in 1 gallon jugs and are much more effective, but need to be used carefully because they can easily damage paint, floors  etc and coils if not rinsed properly. My favorite is NuCalgon Special HD Clean.
    Be careful when using any of these products and purchase the "mini split  Bib" system for cleaning evaporators.http://www.nucalgon.com/assets/prodlit/3-125.pdf   

• Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Posts: 4,008Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    I would say you can skip the bib and do preventative cleaning with self rinsing coil cleaner/fan/pan and then a mold preventative.
    You will need the bib if you let this go on for too long. 

The time to do all of this during heating season. The indoor unit is dry and much easier when you do not need cooling.

If you only use the split for cooling you will have to be much more attentive as it can end of as bad as a house full of ducting that is full of bad stuff. One of the best things of a split is you can see this :)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Mountains near Mariposa/Yosemite CA
     http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
    E-mail [email protected]

• Dave AngeliniDave Angelini Posts: 4,008Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    BB. said:
    Dave is right... Chlorine is pretty tough on some plastics/materials.

-Bill
    I may be right but I have done what you suggested many times Bill. On the plastic system fans, condenser coils, and drain pan.

Being in places where you are too far from the best way, like on an Island or at a very remote Offgrid house.

The main point is if you use chlorine, you just have to make damn sure you rinse it out really well with distilled or rainwater in a pressure sprayer..

There were places where we could not get the three C's of life.    Chocolate, Cabernet, and Cheese. Nice to be in America ;)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Mountains near Mariposa/Yosemite CA
     http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
    E-mail [email protected]

• LucManLucMan Posts: 221Solar Expert ✭✭✭
    True for light cleaning before the units are a complete mess you can get away with out the bib. Usually though by the time people call me the coils and fans etc. are growing beards. I need the bib to keep from making a mess on the walls and floor,  requiring me to remove the blower to properly clean the wheels and shroud.
123457»