How does a SunDanzer DCF225 Freezer handle unheated spaces?

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
We have someone local who has a SunDanzer DCF225 Freezer (actually has the refrigerator thermostat too!) at an attractive price.

I've been considering adding a freezer and was curious how it handles unheated spaces. I would put it in a small shelter under my array. We get to -10 pretty often. I understand some freezers don't handle this well. I think it is mostly frost free fridge/freezers which can trigger a defrost cycle?

This is not frost free, but they do claim some "...
patented low-frost system..."

Anyone with any experience?

Figure this might be the time to add a freezer, with tariffs I've seen some very low meat prices. Paid $1 a pound for pork loin last week and 72 cents a pound for a ham shank today, and there is a lot of meat in manufacturers storage right now that nobody wants to ship because of tariffs or the possibility of tariffs kicking in mid shipment. (Like buying solar panels in China!)

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018 #2
    My understanding is the problem is related to a fridge freezer combo with a single thermostat in the fridge, the cold ambient causes the temperature  inside the fridge to drop below it's throttling range, thereby never turning on causing the freezer temperatures to rise.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018 #3
    The Low frost design is similar the Stecca freezers and means that about once a year you need to defrost to keep the efficiency up.
    Much better than the old design where this was 4 to 6 times a year. I really do not know it is on, the kwh is almost nothing overnight.

I agree with mcgivor but I have never done this to test it. It might be fine.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Photowhit
    $400 maybe less, it might be worth a try... I think we might see a quick drop in prices followed by the increase in inflation could pay for most of it... Of course I could be wrong...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I want your crystal ball ;)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Photowhit
    edited July 2018 #6
    I want your crystal ball ;)
    Educated guess based on full meat lockers due to tariffs;

http://fortune.com/2018/07/22/meat-stockpiles-tariffs-trade-war/

Others have the same conclusion;

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4182040-tariffs-saga-means-cheap-meat-get-used

And seeing cheap prices in the Midwest;

No automatic alt text available

FWIW - That's not cheap ham, Good smoked ham with no water added. Not sure I have ever seen it that low, bought some after thanksgiving for about the same price, but it was cheap water added ham. Doesn't freeze well and after you really have to bake it to get it dry enough for sandwiches.