sealed, gel and lead acid setting on charge controller

wastwast Posts: 41Registered Users ✭✭
what happens if u use the wrong setting on your charge controller?? for example if I have sealed batteries and have my controller set for gel or flooded... curious to know what this does to batteries 

Comments

• EstragonEstragon Posts: 2,838Registered Users ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some sealed batteries need lower charging voltages. Too high, they can vent gasses with irreversible loss of capacity. Conversely, a flooded battery charged at too low voltage can form hardened sulfate over time, also with irreversible loss of capacity.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Marc KurthMarc Kurth Posts: 446Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    Pre-canned settings can sometimes be wrong. Measure the actual voltage coming from the charge controller and match it to the manufacturers guidelines - mystery solved.

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • jonrjonr Posts: 1,073Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    +1 on what Marc said.   The generalization that the charge controller is doing is dangerous and the "wrong" setting might actually be better for some batteries.
  • softdownsoftdown Posts: 1,889Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    Generally gel and AGM have no way to vent gasses so a lower voltage may be needed. While a higher voltage can help flooded batteries.

Though I do wonder about the rigor of the science behind some recommendations. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • TimoatTimoat Posts: 1Registered Users
    My battery manufacturer recommended I use "sealed" on the mt50 for my 250 ah Agm because it needed HIGHER voltage. 
  • Marc KurthMarc Kurth Posts: 446Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    Hence, the suggestion to always set the system up based on the manufacturers spec.....not a generic "type" of battery.

I deal with Concorde and Fullriver;
    Voltages that are great for Fullriver AGM's are not suitable for Concorde AGM's.

Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdownsoftdown Posts: 1,889Solar Expert ✭✭✭✭
    Hence, the suggestion to always set the system up based on the manufacturers spec.....not a generic "type" of battery.

I deal with Concorde and Fullriver;
    Voltages that are great for Fullriver AGM's are not suitable for Concorde AGM's.

Marc
    Sometimes I do a double take when my Fullriver AGM's are charging at 58.8 volts. Good thing I left a Post It note saying that is recommended. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries