PV Wire/ Conduit selection?

ligwyd
ligwyd Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭
I have seen and worked with a few different types of PV Wire. Just looking for some feed back on the following product:

RPVU90 10 AWG

It is my understanding that the RPVU90 wire is UV rated (sunlight resistant) in black and all other colours and is rated for 2KV  (2000 volts)

Although 2000 volt rating may not be necessary for many installs, it seems readily available since this particular product covers a wide range of application and is very close in price to other comparable product.

I have noticed the PV wire pigtails attached to the Solar Panels from the manufacturer have a different type of cable. It looks to be a double jacketed product. When I price this type of PV wire, it is of course a little more costly but just wondering why that type is used in the first place? Is it that it that is just adds another layer of protection and durability?

One of my concerns is of course OD of wire so as to keep any conduit size, if being used, to a min and the RPVU90 does have a smaller OD than the other double jacketed stuff.

I know for longer runs some use lower cost builders wire, but in this particular application my max run is 40 feet so transitioning from one wire  to a another does not seem to make sense.

Thanks for any thoughts, feedback and experience that others may in this are.

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The RPV90 and RPVU 90 are very similar to one another, with the exception of RPVU 90 having a higher voltage rating available as well as a direct burial compliance. Either one would work for most PV applications, it comes down to conduct fill, personally my choice is to be generous when sizing conduit, makes for easier pulls along with the option to expand.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.