I have a solar energy job interview in the following days

ahmedzein
ahmedzein Registered Users Posts: 4
edited July 2018 in Solar Beginners Corner #1
I have been to the last stage which is the technical interview ,and i have known from a friend in this company that the interview will focus mainly on the electrical side of the pv .
I need to know what kind of questions will i be asked regarding the electricity because I am a mechanical engineer and my electric information are just fundamental.So if anyone could help with some topics to read or the kind of questions that will be asked i will be very grateful .
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just admit to what you don't know, honesty is what an employer will be looking for, and need.

I suspect there will be someone who has a strong technical knowledge to run the jobs.

If it's for small residential installations, might make your self aware of the differences between micro-inverters and String inverters(I used this as I lack the knowledge of a better term)

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    This is a thread were we put a lot of "interesting facts" and links for solar power... Take a quick look through and read some of the details.

http://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/4426/working-thread-for-solar-beginner-post-faq/p1

The basic electrical formulas work just fine for most solar questions;

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm

They can all be derived from circuit theory and calculas -- But the basics will serve you well:

Volts = Current * Resistance
    Power = V*I = V^2 / R = I^2 * R

And such.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would help to know what kind of job in the solar industry.

As an example, the correct answer in the technical interview for a sales-related automotive job is "I like money". You simply need to demonstrate confidence in your ability to use technical knowledge to the extent necessary to further that goal. A grasp of technical details without demonstrating an ability to convert it into profitable sales would be a fail.

If it's more of a technical role, my guess is they'll know a mechanical engineer doesn't know a lot about EE generally or solar in particular. In that case, @Photowhit is right, don't try to fake it. Get a basic grasp on things (eg from Bill's links) so you can show adaptibility and an interest in learning outside your area of expertise.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter