Solar And Fridge on DC

Roslyn
Roslyn Registered Users Posts: 1
I have a camp trailer with a DIY solar panel system.  It has a 3000 watt inverter that was screaming like a banshee so it was disconnected and we connected to regular power (shore power - hookup power)  everything worked fine until the plug burned out (the hook up plug)  then we reconnected with a new plug and now everything works except the Fridge and AC/Heat  - although those worked for a month and a half.  It just stopped working.  Could it have something to do with the solar power? Everything else is running in the trailer, the lights, and there is enough power to run the small electric heater (like you use in a house).  I checked all the fuses and the breakers.    CAN ANYONE HELP ME!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Do the fridge and AC/Heat work on shore power?

Can you tell us what Brand/Model/Type of AC inverter you had (and/or current have) (12 volt / 24 volt /etc, MSW or PSW/TSW type)?

What is the battery bank (i.e., 2x series 2x parallel 6 volt @ 200 AH???).

What do you have for a solar array (Watts, Vmp, Imp of panels, series/parallel connections)?

What do you have for a solar charger (MPPT, PWM, etc.)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heating up a plug and melting parts indicates you have troubles, not likely the solar.  

Screaming inverter is likely the under voltage warning.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    From the sounds of it there was an overload which shut the inverter down or pulled the battery voltage down, refrigerator compressor winding failure due to modified sine wave perhaps?  speculation at this point without knowing details.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.