SW4024-Generator not charging batteries

Shmity1
Shmity1 Registered Users Posts: 2
Batteries are low, fire up generator...generator never shuts down, but used to.  Is it possible a bad battery could prevent the generator from shutting down?

16x L-16HCL Interstate Batteries Wired for 24v.  All test @ 6.2v except 1 that is at 5.4v
Not sure what the Solar array is.

First time poster, thanks for the help.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The generator must meet certain voltage and frequency specs BEFORE the inverter will qualify it as a valid source.   I had issues with a generator going over frequency after it's break-in period.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this the old xantrex SW or the Schneider CSW ?  As Mike wrote the marriage between the generator and the inverter/charger has to be good. Check all connections and retorque. The outlier battery should be checked carefully. Measure SG... 

The internal transfer switch can have damage contacts. You should hear the transfer loading the genset.

The more info you post the better odds someone can help. A picture or two? 
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd start by taking the string with the 5.4v battery out of the equation. FWIW.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have charged individual batteries in a bank with an AC charger from generator output if need be (eg to get the inverter/charger to wake up after LBCO). Also FWIW.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Shmity1
    Shmity1 Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited June 2018 #6
    A little more trouble shooting...The batteries are charging.  I apparently didn't wait long enough to allow the contacts to switch.  So what I believe could be going on is that the Gen shut down voltage is higher than what the batteries will charge to.  Could have something to do with that low battery.